Saturday, December 30, 2006

Moth In A Green Jar

Once, when Sean and I first started dating, he came to pick me up to go see a movie, and I wasn't quite ready. No surprise there - I’m perpetually late. But this occasion was unlike all the others, where I had just lost track of time and miscalculated how long it would take to get my long luscious locks looking “just so.” Oh no, this was different. This was important! I was taking pictures. For the past half hour I had been focusing my lens on a moth inside a green jar. Yes, that’s right – a moth. I’ll give you a moment to let that sink in.

When I noticed it, I naturally dropped everything I was doing, grabbed the camera, set up the tripod and started firing away. I know what you’re thinking: a moth! Too good to be true! I know, right? But there it was.

Okay, maybe you don’t get it, but my dear husband-to-be, he understood. Well, maybe not entirely, but he sure gave it the ol’ college try. In fact, he has often said that that's when he knew he loved me, but he never really knew why it was that particular moment. Funny, I thought it was the day he’d finally gotten me to say dirty words in bed.

Just recently, though, he told me he had it figured out. He said he knew he loved me that day because of my ability to see beauty in all things. That, my friends, is probably one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me. Damn, I love that man.

So I’m adding my Moth Inside A Green Jar here at the beginning of my blog. I like it. I also like the memories and the sentiment my husband has associated with it. And since we are at the cusp of a new year, I want it to serve as a reminder to me to follow my passions. A new year is a blank slate, full of potential. Some of it may not be so obvious, but a keen eye can unlock it and make it dance.

No comments: