Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thoughts on Jamaica

I’ve just returned from a glorious escape to the beautiful island of Jamaica!

Here’s what I’ve discovered:

- Watching the sunset is a relaxing nightly ritual.

- Jerk Chicken from the hut on the beach is yummy, even though it kinda burns my mouth.

- Baby lizards half the size of your pinky enjoy hitching a ride on your warm shoulder.

- I be fond of the Jamaican accent. Ya mon.

- Little tightly wound braids are difficult to unravel from long hair.

- Reggae music is quite addicting.

- Pina colada tastes good any time of the day or night.

- The drug dealer in the boat gets irate when resort security chases him away, but he always comes back. “Pssssst! Do ya smoke ma’lady? Ganja...”

- Manta rays look very large as they glide under your raft.

- When a smooth talking Jamaican man takes me by the hand and is unwavering in his belief that I would love a wooden sculpture of a turtle, I buy a wooden sculpture of a turtle. I even buy a wooden sculpture of a rabbit. And an anklet made of beads in the colors of the Jamaican flag. I consider buying a drum and some mixed reggae CD’s made by his son who is a DJ, but I somehow manage to break free from his spell before I can completely empty my wallet into his hand.

- The addition of a wooden turtle and a wooden rabbit puts your luggage above the weight limit.

- People are happy when they’re naked, and it’s very easy to make friends with naked people (yes, I was at that resort).

- Naked is fun!

- I enjoy dressing up in crazy costumes for theme nights (and I look simply divine in a toga).

- No matter how fantastic the vacation, there’s no place like home.

One love. One heart. Let’s get together and feel alright.

Ya mon.

No comments: