Sunday, September 9, 2007

Camping

Throughout my childhood, going on a family vacation meant one thing: Camping.

My parents never had a whole lot of money, so there were no flights to tropical locales, no tours through bustling city streets, no visits to distant lands.

We owned a tent. We would pack up the car with sleeping bags and pillows, peanut butter and jelly, bug spray, flashlights, fishing poles, jiffy pop, a propane lantern and the camp stove, a Frisbee and a deck of cards. And, of course, the dogs. And we would set off for a campground in the Catskills to reconnect with earth, water, air and fire.

Camping trips took place every Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. Often we’d go together with my Uncle Mike and Aunt Ronnie and their 6 children, which meant my brother and I would have cousins to play with. They had a pop up camper, which we thought was the epitome of luxury. When they upgraded to a bigger camper, my parents bought their little pop up, and thus we moved up in the world.

It seemed to always rain on those holiday weekends, so there would be 2 kids and 2 dogs and 6 cousins slopping around in the mud for 4 days and bringing it all into the tent and the camper. Everyone and everything would be dirty and wet and cold.

And we loved it.

We’d bring bikes to ride around the campground, and there were enough of us to furnish the feeling of being our own little gang. We’d play tag, or maybe play catch with a softball and our well-worn dusty mitts. My cousin Jenny and I would get lost for a while to explore a mountain creek or a rocky bluff, and occasionally the campground’s game room with our pockets full of quarters.

Of course there would be the usual teasing and fights and sibling rivalries among the kids, but at night we’d converge to toast marshmallows on long thin sticks over the campfire, eyes and smiles illuminated by the flickering orange flames.

It was exciting to be outside after dark, surrounded by the sounds of crickets and frogs, by campfire smoke, by the twinkling fireflies and a sky full of stars.

We would giggle and tell stories and make up new lyrics to the “Diarrhea song” as our bouncing flashlight beams headed up the dirt roads and paths, moving erratically toward the mosquito-filled bathhouses. After one last pee, a quick brush across our teeth and a splash of water over our faces, we were off to snuggle deep down in our sleeping bags and doze off to sleep.

Those were the vacations of my childhood.

********

I never had a whole lot of money while I was raising my daughter. I brought Mandy on her first camping trip when she was two years old.

We’d practiced in the middle of the living room under tents made from sheets and couch cushions, so she was elated to finally be camping “for real”. She sang to herself as she collected buckets full of pinecones and acorns from around the campsite. Doing things outside – eating, sleeping, even peeing – made them that much more fun. For my little nature-girl-in-training, camping was the perfect vacation. And we took many perfect vacations.

And even when we had the resources to take flights to tropical locales, tour through bustling city streets and visit distant lands, we still took camping trips too. There’s just something about camping, the reconnecting with earth, water, air and fire, that can’t be duplicated in a hotel room.

And so over Labor Day weekend, Mandy and I packed the car with sleeping bags and pillows, peanut butter and jelly, bug spray, flashlights, fishing poles, jiffy pop, a propane lantern and the camp stove, a Frisbee and a deck of cards.

And we went on vacation.


(to be continued...)

28 comments:

Patty O said...

I still remember when I went camping with my family when I was young. It was always fun, and always a great chance to be around people you care about.

Travis Cody said...

I remember select summer camping trips to Yosemite National Park. We went with several other couples, friends rather than family.

We had grand times fishing and hiking and just enjoying being dirty without anyone caring.

Can't wait to read more about your recent camp out.

houseband00 said...

I think what's most important is the company of loved ones who join you in the journey, Tammie. =)

Glamourpuss said...

Camping gives me nightmares - I admire your resilience.

Puss

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Patty O! I think camping is a big event for a kid - those memories really stick :)


Hi Travis! I would love to camp at Yosemite - it's on my list :)


Hi Houseband! I couldn't agree more. And the relaxed itinerary of camping makes for lots of quality time.


Hi Glamourpuss! Well it's certainly not for everyone. Sometimes, as I'm wearing my flip-flops into the bathhouse showers and making sure my stuff doesn't touch anything, I even wonder if it's for me ;)

Erica Ann Putis said...

I haven't been camping in years... I miss it seeing as how I grew up in Vermont and that's all there was to do. Hope you had fun!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! It was a great time. The difference between camping as a kid and camping now is that now I'm waaaay more concerned about sleeping comfortably. As long as I'm car-camping, I bring all the bedding gear I can stuff in the trunk so I don't have to feel the ground. It's even more important than food...

KJP said...

Camping is always the best of times!

Malathionman said...

I try to pee outside whenever possible!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi KJP! I agree. It's good quality time too :)


Hi Malathionman! LOL! I'm sure that gives the neighbors plenty to talk about ;)

robkroese said...

Nice. Reminds me of some of the better vacations we went on when I was a kid. Just a bunch of kids running around with flashlights in the woods or riding our bikes to wherever.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! Yeah, as a kid and even now, those simple summer pleasures are the best :)

Jill said...

Other than the location, I think we had the same childhood.

Kiyotoe said...

you always share the best memories with us tj.

I remember going camping during summer camp one year and I was miserable the whole time because all I could do was think about the Friday the 13th movies.

Should have listened to my mom and NOT watched them with my dad.

:(

Magdalene-Sophie said...

camps are always great fun :D
family camps, school camps, church camps, band camps..

speaking of band camps..haha! they're crazy because you just play music or sing music for the entire duration of camp non stop, from day to night. you'd probably even dream of music :)

you're such a sweet mom! i'm touched that you even 'practice camping' with your daughter...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jill! LOL I would have been fun for us to swap locations for a week as kids. As a child, and even now, I think I would be awed by the desert.


Hi Kiyotoe! Oh no! You can't watch movies like that unless you plan on staring at the tent ceiling all night, listening for the sound of twigs cracking underfoot in the night. Don't dads always let you watch stuff you shouldn't?


Hi Magdelene Sophie! LOL Band camp does sound crazy! But I'm sure it's still great fun to be at camp with friends.
Yes, camping was one of my daughter's favorite games as a toddler (she's 15 now!)

Dan said...

Like mother, like daughter! You're keeping the family tradition going, and it's wonderful!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Dan! Yes, in many ways she is a little mini-me :) I hadn't thought of camping as a family tradition, but I guess it is!

CS said...

We used to camp all the time when I was a kid - tent camping, a tiny houseboat, and small camper. These days I have to admit to a preference for a cabin - all the great outdoor stuff, but a comfortable bed at night.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CS! Comfort is definitely of utmost importance - a bed beats sleeping on the group any day! But a lot of the time I end up too far off the beaten path for cabins to be an option.

Marisa said...

Awesome. I loved camping as a kid and we always had rain too (not shocking for the Pacific NW though...)

My favorite memory was the time my dad ate Tarter Sauce on his waffles.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Reesepie! LOL What a fun memory! When my brother and I were kids, we always got excited when my parents did the simplest things - "Look! Mom's gonna come swimming!!!" "OMG Dad's riding a BIKE!" I think we would have completely lost it with tartar sauce on waffles :)

MyMaracas said...

What wonderful memories you're building with your daughter! There's really nothing else like camping for reconnecting with each other and appreciating the things that matter.

:-)
Vicki

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Vicki! I've always tried to plan time for us to "make memories together" as Mandy was growing up. It's getting a little harder now that she's older, but camping was definitely good quality time :)

katie eggeman said...

My folks took me camping and we took our kids camping, but knowing my two girls the tradition stops with them. Glad you had a good vacation and glad you are back.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bankerchick! Yeah, camping is definitely not for everyone, but I'm sure your daughters have some fun memories from the trips you took them on :)

velvet said...

We camped a lot when we were kids, too. It was awesome and is one of the favorite things about my childhood. :)

I can't wait to hear more about your trip! We took the kids camping in the Catskills for Labor Day weekend. Where did you used to go?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Velvet! LOL we camped in the Catskills every year when I was young, and I've brought Mandy to many different places in the Catskills for camping & hiking. I love it there!