Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Landscape in Black and White

So here I am in another frenzied phase at work, and I haven’t had much time to post or visit my friends’ blogs. But when I saw the most recent challenge over at The Round Robin Photo Challenges, Black and White Landscape, I thought, “Well I can do that!”

I’ve made it a point to get out with my camera on the weekends these past few months. The fresh air does me good. I am a solo adventurer, of course, because my daughter is often off with friends and my husband works weekends.

At first it feels a little lonely as I get out of my car, gear up, and head up a trail. But in no time I am immersed in the sights and smells around me, and photographic opportunities abound. Soon I begin thinking, “It’s a good thing I’m alone because I could drive someone crazy, stopping so much to take pictures.”

Plus, I end up taking especially lengthy hikes when I’m unaccompanied. Freedom to do what I want...

Of course, my family worries about me while I’m off gallivanting. My daughter will call and check on me. My husband will call ten times as much. But why? I could run into a psycho on the street or in the mall much easier than I could out on the trail.

A recent phone call sounded something like this:

“Where are you?”

“Sam’s Point.”

“Where’s that?”

“Cragsmoor.”

“Where’s that??”

“Remember when we took that really long motorcycle ride?"

"Yeah..."

"We passed it.”

“Who are you with?”

“No one.”

“So someone could just jump out of the bushes and grab you.”

“Well that would be impossible, since I haven’t seen another human being in about 2 hours!”

(Ooops! Wrong thing to say…)

But hey, long hikes alone make for great shots. Here are a few I’ve taken recently. I think translating them into black and white gives a completely different feel…


These are from Sam's Point Preserve:

The area is home to one of the best examples of ridgetop dwarf pine barrens in the world:

From the 1920's until the 1960's, the area was home to a home to a thriving summertime industry of huckleberry pickers. Some of their shacks still remain...


Another recent excursion was to Olana, a Persian influenced home built between 1870 and 1891 by Frederic Church, a major figure in the Hudson River School of landscape painting:


Not a lengthy hike, but a lovely drive. This is a pond on the grounds...

I will be back soon with a Christmas-inspired post, and I will try to make my rounds and visit you all...

31 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What I wouldn't give to have this kind of talent. And the opportunity to take long hikes by myself at that!

Carly said...

Hi Sweetie :)

I loved your entry. I often go out on my own, so I know what it's like to feel that freedom to explore and get lost in the scene in front of me. :) I completely related to that. You did a fantastic job with this entry. Your black and white photos have a lot of depth to them. I was especially impressed by the one with the house. I could step right into it. It had a deep gothic feel to it. Moody. It makes my day when you Robins get into a challenge, as you did with this one. Thanks for the smile you just gave me.

Always, Carly

Glamourpuss said...

Beautiful photographs. Truly. Beautiful.

Puss

Deth Bleedly said...

these are truly beautiful photos. you have a great talent. i love that house or castle. i hope you win the contest!

katie eggeman said...

Absoultely beautiful pictures. Black and white pictures are stunning either of landscape or people.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Elizabeth! And thanks so much! I do enjoy hiking alone. Sometimes it might be nice to share the adventure with someone, but then I wouldn't take half as many photos... Thanks for stopping by my blog!


Hi Carly! The area of the trail near the shacks is actually kind of creepy - I almost felt as if I wasn't alone. I photographed a few shacks and moved on! I really enjoyed this challenge - b&w gave me a completely different perspective on my photos, since I rarely use it for landscape. Thanks for your feedback!


Hi Puss! Thank you so much - I appreciate it :)


Hi Deth! And nice to meet you :) That house is quite spectacular, actually. It's situated on a hill with a gorgeous view of the river and mountains. Thanks for stopping by my blog!


Hi Bankerchick! And thank you! I don't generally use b&w for landscape, but I really enjoyed trying it out. I use it quite a bit for portraits. Either way the abscence of color really transforms the photo.

LZ Blogger said...

Great B/W Shots here! I had Huckleberry Jam when we were in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I wanted to stop by and wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas! ~ jb///

Tammie Jean said...

Hi JB! I've never had huckleberry jam, but that sounds yummy! Happy holidays to you too :)

Elizabeth said...

1. Yes, the Pristine Machine will do away with that troublesome dog crap. I have already enlisted my boxer into early trials if I'm able to come up with a prototype. She's more than capable of laying it all around for disposal. ;)
2. Oxymoron? Most definitely! LOL
3. I did change the water... and wonder if I didn't acclimate the fish into it rather than just dumping them in. I bought some new fish (pray for them!) the other day and so far they are still alive. The week's young, though.

:)

Travis Cody said...

You're right about the black and white. Those photos are stunning.

You have such a tremendous eye for framing your subjects.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Teeje-

You have a great eye. I do not, so I really appreciate the art of photography. Hope alls is well!

Tammie Jean said...

Elizabeth - good luck with the new fish community!!

Hi Travis! And thank you! Maybe all those art classes I took in college have paid off :)

Hi Bud! Thanks! It's nice to get positive feedback :) I know I enjoy taking them...

Jocelyn said...

The shack photo is my favorite. You are immensely talented.

Hiking alone is so lovely. My husband isn't afraid of nature, and I don't have a cell phone, so my excursions are a bit less stressed than yours! Hee.

KJP said...

I am torn between the rock and the house as my favorite. I could live in either place, one more easily than the other...

Ed & Jeanne said...

Great photographs. Winter is such a good time for black and white photos. Can't say it's the greatest time for hiking around doing it though...it rains and snows around here a lot.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jocelyn! My husband would love to join me if we ever had the same day off. But then again, when my cell phone isn't ringing it's actually quite relaxing by myself :)


Hi KJP! I'll have to post the full-color version of the rock photo sometime - it was taken at sunset, and the colors were incredible. It's a very windy spot though, so you might want to consider living in the house ;)


Hi VE! Yeah, we've been getting a lot of snow here lately too. It actually looked really pretty this morning with the latest dusting still clinging to the branches. Too bad work always gets in the way of what I'd really like to be doing...

CS said...

Those are just beautiful. And I love the word "gallivanting."

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CS! How nice to see you! I hope you are well. LOL - gallivanting has always been a favorite of mine :)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Oh, my. These are seriously wonderful. I can't begin to choose a favorite!

Malathionman said...

My daughter thinks the big house looks haunted. I think the shack looks like something out of The Blair Witch Project. Maybe you shouldn't be out there alone. :)

Unknown said...

Wow you do make good use of your time! I love your shots and can't wait to see more. :)

If you like to get out in the woods taking photos you should take up geocaching. :) I get most of my photos on walks to the caches. Gives me a place to walk with a purpose and I see things I never would have found on my own. :)

Unknown said...

I forgot to say how lonely and peaceful at the same time that first photo looks. Wow.!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Karen! Thanks so much - I appreciate that :)


Hi Malathionman! Honestly, the area of those shacks was eerie and cold - I was walking double-time on the way through!


Hi Lisa! I just googled geocaching - looks like fun! I remember being very good at orienteering back in the day ;) Perhaps I'll have to put a GPS unit on my wish list...
And thanks for your comment on the photo - much appreciated! :)

MyMaracas said...

Wow, what an eye you have! These are just amazing. I especially love the house. You should frame and hang these, you really should.

Vicki

Scott from Oregon said...

Excellent!!

I worry a little too, knowing you are "out there", but you are also right. The creeps never go out there.

Elizabeth said...

Don't forget to read over this before Santa's visit! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

MyMaracas said...

Hey there! Just stopping in to wish you a merry Christmas.

:-)
Vicki

Rick Rockhill said...

Tammie Jean- LOVE those photos! great stuff. Just wanted to drop in and wish you a merry Christmas!
-Rick

robkroese said...

Beautiful pics, as usual. Merry Christmas, Tammie Jean!

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Teeje-

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Marisa said...

Beautiful.