Friday, December 7, 2007

Thank You, Uncle Happy

At dawn on December 7, 1941, naval aviation forces of the Empire of Japan launched a military strike on the United States Pacific Fleet center at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, drawing the U.S. full-force into World War II.

Pearl Harbor Day always makes me think of my grandfather, even though he wasn’t there.

********
Seventeen years earlier, two young boys were playing in a small yard behind a small house in a small town in the suburbs of New York City. Anthony, who everyone called Happy, was 9 years old at the time, and he was keeping an eye on his three-year-old brother Joe (my grandfather).

As many 9 year olds do, Happy fancied himself a very grown-up boy. A responsible boy - almost a man. And as such, he decided to demonstrate his manly prowess by chopping some wood like his father or his big brother Tom would do.

There was an ax in the cellar.

Joe looked up to his big brother and followed him closely, tethered with the invisible twine of wonderous admiration. He followed him to the cellar, where the ax leaned against the cool damp stones of the basement wall. With the mighty instrument in hand, Happy headed out to the wood pile with little Joe in tow.

“Here Joe, hold this wood up for me.”

Happy lifted the ax up above his head and quickly realized that it was much too heavy for him to handle. But as he was already committed to the swing, he brought the menacing blade down and landed it on the wood with a deep thud. Almost right where he wanted it.

Almost.

He had chopped off half of little Joe’s small, dirty, three-year old ring finger on his right hand. Blood was spurting in every direction.

Joe ran into the house crying and shaking the source of his pain. The blood splattered this way and that as the little hand shook and little Joe cried.

Their mother was screaming as she tried to figure out where on his blood-covered body Joe was hurt. When she finally found the wound, she quickly wrapped his hand in rags and took him on the Charlie cars to Dr. Brooks in town. The doctor sewed up what was left of the finger, just below where there should have been a knuckle, and it healed just fine.

********

But it was still a bit sensitive as Joe sat in the back of a Chevrolet Coupe, heading to New York City with a group of buddies to sign up for the Navy. He was 19 years old.

They found the enlistment office easily enough, and they got their physicals and completed their written tests.

But just as Joe took the pen in his right hand to sign his name on the dotted line, officially enlisting in the United States Navy, the registrar said, “Whoa! Wait a minute – don’t sign. You’d better go back home and get your other half a finger first.”

Joe and his buddies had planned to sign up together and stick together. But since the Navy turned Joe down, none of the other guys joined either. They all piled back into the Coupe and drove home.

Looking back, my grandfather thought maybe that man had saved his life. It was 1939, and he probably would have been sent to Pearl Harbor for four years of training.

********

Joe lived with a friend in Connecticut for the next two years. He worked at a foundry with steam presses and molds, making rubber gears for airplanes.

In 1941 he had his appendix taken out. He was on sick leave from work for 6 months after his operation, so he came back to New York during that time. And that’s when he met my grandmother.

But the news of Pearl Harbor inspired the nation to action. “No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory” President Roosevelt told the citizens of the United States. So early in 1942, Joe was on his way to military training in Camp Wheeler, Georgia. I guess the Army wasn’t as concerned about that stubby ring finger, especially now that the country was at war.

After training he got his shots, he got his teeth and eyes checked, and was sent up to New York Harbor. On February 8, 1943, my grandfather boarded a ship to go to war. He served in the Signal Corps in North Africa and Italy until the war finally ended in 1945.

********

President Roosevelt called December 7, 1941 "… a date which will live in infamy." 2,333 lost their lives, another 1,139 were wounded, and Americans’ commitment to isolationism was cast aside as they entered the war with fierce determination.
I have nothing but gratitude and respect for all of those who have served our country, and for those who continue to serve today.

But on the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, I always end up thinking about my grandfather, and the stories he told me of his service in the European Theater Operation.

I also think about chance and fate.

Our paths through life are directed and redirected by both decisions and accidents, and maybe even forces unseen. So many maybes, so many “what ifs”…

What if my grandfather had enlisted in the Navy and gone off to Hawaii for training? Maybe he would have been one of the casualties of that fateful day. Or maybe he wouldn’t have.

But maybe if he’d join the Navy in 1939 he wouldn’t have met my grandmother and started the chain reaction that resulted in me.

Or maybe if he didn’t get appendicitis he wouldn’t have come back to New York and met my grandmother and started the chain reaction that resulted in me.

Maybe I’m here today because 83 years ago my great-uncle Happy chopped off my grandfather’s finger with an ax.
Or maybe I would have happened anyway....


“There is no such thing as chance; and what seems to us merest accident springs from the deepest source of destiny.” Friedrich von Schiller

24 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

What a great story! Well told!

Malathionman said...

Oh man, I knew where that story was going when the two boys were going out to the wood pile with the ax. Little boys and sharp things don't mix. I remember getting 10 stitches in my wrist when I was 9. I had to whittle a bar of soap for Cub Scouts. My mom said, "Be careful, don't cut yourself." I swear it all of about 5 minutes for me to punchure a vein. I tried to patch it up myself but there was way too much blood. I went crying to my mom when I couldn't stop the bleeding, but I was upset about cutting myself when she had told my to be careful, not that I was gushing blood all over the place.

Julie said...

What I love about your blog is that it's so insightful. You rarely, if ever, just ramble on aimlessly and you are such a good storyteller! Bravo!

katie eggeman said...

What a thoughtful post. When I met Mr Bankerchick, it was a blind date and I didn't agree to it at first, since he was a sailor and I had a not so nice blind date with a Marine the month before. but I agreed to meet him over 40 years ago. I often wondered where I would be if I had stuck to the original decision. For sure I would have missed out on an interesting life and 2 great girls.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi RLL! And nice to meet you! Thanks for checking out my blog, and I'm glad you enjoyed the story :)


Hi Malathionman! Oh, man! That sounds horrible! Ten stitches is a lot for a little 9-year-old writst. But I know what you mean - the first worry is always that mom is going to be disappointed, right?


Hi Jules! Wow, thank you so much - what a nice compliment! This smile may last me the rest of the day :)


Hi Bankerchick! Isn't it funny how the slightest alteration could have changed everything?? I'm glad you agreed to meet Mr. Bankerchick - you two sound like a great pair :)

MyMaracas said...

Tammie Jean, you're a born storyteller.

Fate, coincidence and fortune are fascinating ideas. So many things would be completely different, for each of us, if not for small, key events.

Great post!
Vicki

Travis Cody said...

Beautifully told, as always.

KJP said...

Well told! I never knew where it was going!

But, I hold no belief in random change, luck or accident. Everything is by design. And if a finger and an appendix is what it took for your grandparents to meet - cool! Albeit, painful for one of them!!!

robkroese said...

Wow, great story.

velvet said...

It's amazing how lives fall together like that and how one event can echo through time. Wonderful story and I'm glad that things worked out the way that they did. We have you. :-)

Dan said...

What an absolutely amazing story Tammie Jean. I really do believe that everything happens exactly as it should and we just don't see the pattern because we are at such a lower level. Wow! Great post!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Vicki! And thank you - I appreciate that! Yes, fate is an interesting (and mind-boggling) concept, best understood in reverse (if it's possible to understand at all...)


Hi Travis! And thank you so much!! :)


Hi KJP! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! My husband agrees with your views - there are no accidents; everything happens for a reason. I have to believe that each of us has a say in our destiny, but some things just look like fate. I guess I'm undecided...


Hi Diesel! Thanks so much!! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)


Hi Velvet! And thank you - I'm glad things worked out this way too :) Who knows how many other "what if's" needed to be surpassed over the course of my grandparent's lifetime, or that of my parents, in order for me to be here?


Hi Dan! I'm so glad you liked it! And I bet you're right - there are probably so many patterns that we just don't see... I'd love to be able to get up a little higher and take a look at my map ;)

Rick Rockhill said...

I have to tell you, I really enjoyed reading this. I love history anyway...

LZ Blogger said...

Tammie Jean ~ I think that things work out FOR A REASON! We will all miss "The GREATEST Generation" someday soon! Great story here! THX! ~ jb///

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Palm Springs! I love history too, especially how it affected the people who lived through it on a personal level. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hi JB! I know I miss my grandparents every day, but the contributions made by the Greatest Generation live on. Will we ever again see such purpose and determination?

Scott from Oregon said...

bahhh! You're here because of penises and vaginas. WHen the two meet, well.. sometimes little boys and girls emerge...

It is fun to contemplate fate and chance. It is quite another (as one suggested) to believe they are steered in some way.

Those types of thoughts breed superstitition, which may be fun, but are not very productive or relevant.

Pure Dumb Luck is about the best ya got...

Nice story,sweetie...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! Well, those two things certainly ensure the continuance of the species... Tennessee Williams said that luck is believing you're lucky, and I think in many ways I certainly am :)

Jocelyn said...

Holy crap. What an introduction to your blog.

What have I been doing with my life, if not spending it here, reading such glorious prose?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, you are far too kind, but thank you. And thanks for stopping by! :)

Glamourpuss said...

Having no real family of my own, I am always fascinated to hear such tales. Thank you.

Puss

Ed & Jeanne said...

Beautiful story. I love how you can take us back to our own stories and time while enjoying youy own at the same time. Your posts are sort of like comfort food!

Patty O said...

Something similar happened to my grandfather in Ireland when he was young. He was working in a factory when he was 14, and he accidentally let his arm go into one of the machines and take it off. He's been wearing a prosthetic ever since, and I guess you do have to wonder if his life might have been different had he not lost his arm. They weren't enlisting the Irish back then for Pearl Harbor of course, but still.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Puss! I'm very glad that you enjoyed the story :)

Hi VE! If I can remind you of some of your own stories, that's awesome :) And comfort food, hmm? I like that - thanks!

Hi Patty O! Yeah, you never know... that accident could have taken your grandfather's life in a completely different direction. It's fun to contemplate...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.