Friday, July 13, 2007

Robby and the Pencil Point

When I was in the second grade I had a little crush on Robby M. He had a crush on me too. Nothing had been said, but a girl knows these things.

He would rub my arm, and then smack someone else’s arm and say “You have Tammie Odor! I quit! No backsies!” So of course, a big “Tammie Odor” fight would ensue…

“Tammie Odor! I quit!”

“Tammie Odor! I quit!”

“Tammie Odor! I quit!”

The boys would chase each other, lunging and dodging, slapping the Tammie Odor around. The girls would just stand there and watch, arms crossed, heads tilted to the side, eyebrows raised. Boys were stupid.

But then Robby would pick me to be on his kickball team on the playground at lunchtime. And he would pass notes to me that said “Who do you like?”

He would try to make me laugh during music class.

He would sit at my table during lunch. He said he liked my Muppets lunchbox.

During a class trip, he wrote R+T in the fog of the bus window above his head. He even drew a heart around it.

One day the two of us got in trouble for talking during Mrs. Rogers’ class, so we had to stay in for lunch and work quietly at a round wooden table in the back of her classroom. We sat on the small pastel chairs, opened our reading comprehension workbooks, and started filling in the blanks, circling True or False, and drawing lines from the word to the matching picture.

Sometime after Mrs. Rogers stepped out of the room, a small argument erupted between us, which led to an all-out battle. The brief focus of my elementary school affections jabbed me in the thigh with a pencil, piercing my white tights. I was absolutely enraged.

I poked him in the eye.

By the time Mrs. Rogers came back, Robby had an ever-reddening eye full of eyelashes, and I had the point of a #2 HB in my leg.

We were sent first to the nurse, then to the principal’s office.

It was the first time I’d ever been sent to the principal’s office. Mrs. Waldron was old and stern in her white ruffled shirt, buttoned high on her neck, and her drab, floor-length skirt. Her eyes were two different colors, and it seemed that one of them never really looked at anything. The hallway rumor was that she had a glass eye. I surmised that it was the brown one, because the blue one was bloodshot all the time. We were given a talkin’-to and a warning, and we were sent back to class.

So Robby and I hadn’t even reached the point of confessing our young love, and the relationship was over. A week goes by so fast…

I never got that pencil point out of my leg.

I made several attempts at removing it over the years with a pair of tweezers and once with a sewing needle, but to no avail. It still floats around inside of me, hidden. I can’t feel it, but it’s there.

Occasionally, it makes its way to the surface. I’ll notice a little dark spot on my leg, just below the skin. But it refuses to be removed, and my efforts just send it deeper into hiding.

That is, until the next time it worms its way up to poke at the underside of my skin. A sly, secretive reminder of a love from long ago.

And that’s the way it is with those expired love affairs. You don't feel them anymore, but they never entirely go away. They’re inside of you, a part of you.

Every once in a while, they resurface for a moment. Sometimes they just smile and wave at you, and you think, “Aw, I remember that. Those were some good times.”

Other times, they sneak up on you and try to squeeze your heart, try to make you remember what you felt like when you were caught in their grasp, or how you felt when it was over.

Over time their power over your heart diminishes, and the little reminders floating through the currents of our insides carry no feelings at all. They’re just memories.

But we learn from those past experiences. We learn about people, we learn about ourselves, about love and what we want out of life. Maybe they even make us better for the next time.
They help make us who we are.


"You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; and just so, you learn to love by loving. All those who think to learn in any other way deceive themselves." - Saint Francis de Sales


24 comments:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Terrific post. And how true. In a Counting Crows song Adam sings "There's a piece of Maria in every song I sing". We do bring it all along with us for the ride.

Erica Ann Putis said...

I have a pencil lead mark in my leg too... Not the actual tip, but the color never went away. :)

Travis Cody said...

Again your writing makes me smile and nod my head.

CS said...

I have always felt that every love, no matter what sorrows came with it, enriched me in some way.

robkroese said...

Somehow I think that Bill V., whom I accidentally stabbed in the hand with a pencil in 2nd grade, doesn't think fond thoughts when he looks at the black mark on his palm that's been there for 30 years now.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi there Bud! Nice to meet you :) Great lyric - that sums it up nicely, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by!


Hi Erica! You too?? How did you get yours?


Hi Travis! Wow, thanks! What a great compliment!


Hi CS! I feel the same way. You emerge each time with something positive, although sometimes it takes some distance to recognize it.

Tammie Jean said...

Hey Diesel! (You snuck in there while I was typing - I guess I'm not the only one up late tonight). So, another pencil stabbing, hmm? Obviously the pencil is the weapon of choice for the elementary crowd...

houseband00 said...

Great post, Tammie! =)

Made me remember my first crush when I was in nursery. Dang, I still remember her name! =)

velvet said...

This was a great post. It's funny because I've been mulling over past relationships lately.

Given that we have a certain foundation that we're born with, we're all basically a product of the input of all the other people who have come in and out of our lives. Some people leave a much more, um, "pointed" mark on us, of course.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Houseband! Isn't it funny how early those infatuations can start? My first crush was in nursery school too :)


Hi Velvet! I've been mulling over past relationships lately, too. (Is that another by-product of summer?) Not wishing for what could have been or anything like that, just remembering, and noticing the "marks" left by each one.

LZ Blogger said...

Tammie Oder? That's a new one on me! But seeing that pencil and your post reminds me of when my little brother stabbed me with a pencil! There is still a scar, (in my arm) not from the pencil, but like a tatoo from the lead. Oh bopys will be boys! ~ jb///

Michael C said...

I really, really like this. I remember the Muppets lunch box!!!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi LZ! Well, in my elementary school "Odor" was like "Cooties", easily spread by contact with an infected person (or a girl).
And you see? I'm developing this theory that pencil stabbings are widespread...


Hi Michael C! Thanks so much! Yeah, I loved that lunchbox. I wish I still had it. The Muppet Show was my favorite!

MyMaracas said...

What a wonderful post! Ah, puppy love.

I didn't know pencil points could become permanently embedded like that. And judging from the other comments, it's not such an uncommon event, either. It's a bit worrisome, but it does makes for a great metaphor.

Thanks for another great read, Tammie.

Vicki

Scott from Oregon said...

I can't stand having stuff floating around inside my skin so I dig it out with a sharp blade of some kind...

Did I, like... just write a metaphor?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Vicki! I'm not entirely sure if the pencil point lives on as a point indefinitely, or if it is eventually reduced to a stain of some sort. Mine comes and goes, so I'm assuming it hasn't reached stain status yet...

Hi Scott! Hmm... perhaps it is a metaphor, but a metaphor for what? (This conversation could get deep and may require alcohol of some kind...)

Lizza said...

Wonderful post, Tammie Jean! I guess it resonates with most everyone, including me. I love the analogy between the embedded pencil tip in your leg and the memories of past love.

Glamourpuss said...

You had a Muppet lunchbox?

I am in awe...

Puss

Nikki Neurotic said...

When I was in second grade, this kid named Phillip used to write me love letters.

I wonder what ever happened to him?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! And thank you! (By the way - I love your new profile photo!)


Hi Glamourpuss! Yes, I did indeed have the Muppet Show lunch box. I was that cool ;)
Thanks for stopping by!


Hi Silver! Wow, actually love letters? That poor boy was absolutely smitten!

Ed & Jeanne said...

I've got a pencil mark in my thumb still from third grade. Hope it wasn't leaded, I might keel over anytime.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Variant E! Hmm... I wonder what percentage of the population bears permanent pencil point marks? This seems more common than I thought...

Anonymous said...

Wow. I found you from a link on Bud's blog and I've read everything on th front page. You are an amazing writer!! I especially loved this post. So great to find you!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Polliwog! And thanks so much - what a wonderful compliment! I'll have to stop by and pay you a visit :)