Monday, July 2, 2007

Mrs. Garrison

When I was very young we lived in an apartment building on 6th Street. Mrs. Garrison lived on the third floor of our building for a while, and then she moved to an apartment up the block from us – not too far, still within walking distance. She used to babysit for my brother and me. Sometimes if my brother had plans with friends, I would have her all to myself.

She was really old. I mean, to a 5-year-old, 75 was really, really old. She wore old-lady dresses and old lady shoes. She had a large hump on her back where her spine was curved, and she kept her pure white hair tied up in a bun.

I remember once when I was staying overnight with her, she took her bun down to brush her hair. I had never seen it down. It was so long and white.

“Mrs. Garrison, you look like a witch!” I laughed.

She looked in the mirror. “Yes, I guess I do!” she laughed. I didn’t mean any offense (you know how little kids just blurt out whatever they’re thinking), and none was taken. She put her hair back up in a bun, and she put mine up in a bun too, so I could be like her. We admired ourselves in the mirror. I had never seen my long hair tied up in a bun before. I liked it.

********

Mrs. Garrison was afraid of thunder and lightening. She and I had that in common. Whenever it stormed, she would come downstairs from her third-floor apartment and stay with us until it passed. She didn’t like to be up so high. It always made me feel better that I wasn’t the only one afraid of the lightening. And I recall even feeling the slightest bit brave, because I knew that staying with us made Mrs. Garrison feel better. I felt like I was helping her, protecting her. We got through those storms together.

********

There was a black velvet painting of Elvis on the wall in the living room.

I was 7 years old, sitting at the kitchen table drawing pictures with Mrs. Garrison when her son stopped by.

“Did you hear?”

“Yes, I heard,” Mrs Garrison said in a low, solemn voice, shaking her head. “I can’t believe it.”

“Hear what?” I asked.

“The King is dead.”

“We have a king?”

“The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll!” said her son. “Don’t you know who The King is?”

I didn’t know, but they sure did. It was a sad day at Mrs. Garrison’s.

(Side note: whose parents or grandparents cut out the newspaper article when Elvis died? I have all the Elvis clippings in the box of papers from my grandparents, along with the moon landing two page pictoral from the New York Daily News, and a bunch of recipes my grandmother was saving.)

********

Mrs. Garrison was old, but she was energetic and fun. Much more energetic than my grandmother, who was younger but very overweight and mostly just sat around and watched her “stories” in the afternoons. Mrs. Garrison and I took walks to the lake to feed the ducks, and up to Angie’s Delicatessen to buy new coloring books and nice new crayons. Oh, how I loved a new box of Crayola crayons, with their vivid colors and perfect tips. My favorite was Magenta, although at the time I misread it as Mag-neta.

When my favorite stuffed animal, a little white lamb, got so threadbare from its constant companionship with me, the neck ripped into a wide gaping hole. My grandmother said it couldn’t be fixed, so I carried my wounded lamb around that way for weeks with the stuffing hanging out.

But one night when I stayed with Mrs. Garrison, I asked her if it could be fixed and she said “Of course it can!” She got out her black thread (it was the only color she had) and stitched it up. The black stitches kind of stuck out on my dirty little lamb, but he was no longer injured or losing stuffing as we walked, and I was so happy.

Mrs. Garrison was the best.

Some of the caregivers from childhood (babysitters, teachers...) fade away from our memories over time. But the ones who gave you their full attention, the ones that spent quality time with you, and made you smile, maybe even made you feel loved… those are the ones you never forget.

24 comments:

velvet said...

What great memories! Mrs. Garrison sounds like a really rare soul.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Velvet! Yes, "rare" is a good word for her. I wish I had the energy now that she had in her 70's and 80's!

houseband00 said...

That was great! =)

Thanks for sharing your cherished memories, Tammie. =)

Tammie Jean said...

Thanks Houseband! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Dan said...

Such a loving tribute to Mrs. Garrison. I think I would have loved her.

But those velvet paintings. Good God, what were we thinking??

Nikki Neurotic said...

Mrs. Garrison sounds like one of my neighbors. I believe she was around the same age as well...I haven't thought about her in a long time, she passed away when I was 12, and before that she had lived out of state with her daughter for several years prior.

Thanks for the memory!

Travis Cody said...

What a neat lady.

I've been trying to remember stuff like this about my grandmother. I think when I'm able to get my old photographs out, this kind of memory will finally start to come back.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Dan! LOL I know! When I remembered the velvet painting I had to laugh. But in the 70's they were sooo cool!

Hi Silver! You're welcome - I'm glad my memories helped stir up yours :)

Hi Travis! Yeah, photos really help bring memories back. And whenever you think of something, no matter how small, you should write it down. You probably remember more than you think.
I was actually hoping that I had a photo of Mrs Garrison somewhere. I'm not sure I do.

Scott from Oregon said...

My grandmother (Mum's Mum) crotcheted an afghan for me in the colors I requested when I was little. I never thought much about it until I've watched Mum in her older years knitting away feverishly, making things for all the kids. It made me realize the love intended from those old hands...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! You know, my grandmother did the same thing - she knitted afghans, hats, mittens and slippers for everyone. We got to pick the colors too. Oh - and ponchos! It was the 70's after all :)
And I agree, there was a lot of love put into those tedious little knots and stitches. Watching your mum makes you see things differently now, hmm?

MyMaracas said...

What a wonderful story, Tammie Jean. I really enjoyed this entry. Thanks so much for taking the time to share dear Mrs. Garrison with us!

Vicki

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Vicki! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Lizza said...

What a lovely post, Tammie Jean. I suspect the memories you gave Mrs. Garrison were as beautiful as those she gave you in your early years.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! Aw, thanks... that's a really sweet thought :)

Michael C said...

That is a VERY beautiful story. However, I can't get over the fact that she had a velvet Elvis. I have always wanted one. Long Live The King!!!!!
;-)

LZ Blogger said...

Just what every hunchback 75 year old woman wants to hear... “Mrs. Garrison, you look like a witch!” But if she loved the "King", then she ROCKS! (Or at least did at one time in her life!) ~ jb///

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Michael C! You know, you could probably find one on ebay... just sayin'...


Hi LZ! Your comment made me laugh out loud! What a horrible thing to say, right? Good thing she knew I loved her! And yes, she did rock :)

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Nice. You know, I have a philosophy that every child needs someone special. So many kids go through life without one person who tells them, unconditionally, how wonderful they are. Mrs. Garrison. Great, I am glad she was in your life.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Stewart! I agree, every child should have someone special like Mrs. Garrison. I'm sure my parents paid her for the babysitting, but that didn't stop her from being my friend.

Erica Ann Putis said...

I loved new crayons too. They looked so nice in the beginning... :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! I know! New crayons are so pretty and perfect! And they have a certain smell... only the Crayola ones though. I never liked other brands.

robkroese said...

You and I are about the same age. I remember Elvis dying when I was 7, and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. I had no idea who he was.

CS said...

An ideal babysitter. She sounds a lot like my kindergarten techer who had that same beautiful long white hair up in a bun, tons of energy and a creative streak.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! Yeah, if I remember correctly I'm actually 2 days older than you!


Hi CS! Sounds like they were carved from the same uncommon yet wonderful stone :)