Monday, August 6, 2007

Through Thick and Thin

I just started walking. What else could I do? One foot in front of the other; that doesn’t take any thought. You just do it. You walk.

My feet were transporting me up Main Street.

I don’t recall paying at the counter as I left the building, or coming out into the light of a day that was going to be different than all those that preceded it. Things would be different from here on out. I think I was calm and polite to the woman who handled the transaction and handed me the receipt, but it was all a blur now.

Shock and confusion were like a warm liquid seeping through my body, from the area right behind my eyes, down my neck and my back, through my extremities and right to my fingertips and toes. I was alone and numb. It’s a good thing my feet knew what to do. They walked…

Main Street was humming with cars and people scurrying about. It was a sunny day, and I enjoyed, as always, contemplating the flocks of birds that ricocheted across the sky between the brick buildings of downtown. What made them change direction so suddenly? And how did they all move in unison like that, maintaining their tight formation through abrupt movements? Was there one bird leading the others, redirecting the energetic mass of fluttering wings this way and that? Or were they merely dancing across some hidden currents of air rising up through the bricks and concrete?

Ah, yes, this is good. Distraction will get me home. One foot in front of the other…

But then what will I do?

I know. I’ll call my mom.

My mom… hmm. I smiled in spite of myself. My mother is an opinionated, thick-headed Irish woman, and if she’s had a glass of wine she can get downright belligerent on you.

Oh, and she is never wrong. Not a chance. She will argue a point until the cows come home, even if halfway through the dispute she realizes that her argument is complete folly.

And she must have the last word! It’s enough to make you need some wine of your own.

But let me tell you something, my mother is truly awesome.

I will never forget the day I made that call to her.

I was just beginning my senior year of college, a time when I was enjoying every minute of my life.

I had befriended an entire cast of strange and entertaining characters at the bar where I was a cocktail waitress four nights per week, and it seemed a new misfit joined our odd little play every night.

Other weeknights plus Saturdays and Sundays, I worked for the local newspaper in a cluttered, disorganized office that pulsed with energy as we raced against deadlines, worked into the night, and stole snippets of sleep here and there on the threadbare green couch in the middle of the studio.

By day I was absorbed in my classes, traversing the grounds of the university from one lecture hall to another, occasionally hitting the campus gym for a spin on the stationary bike, sometimes stopping in the food court for a snack to enjoy on the grassy hill outside.

I enjoyed my friends. Since it was senior year we were all living in apartments off-campus around town, most of us within walking distance of each other. The house I rented with two friends on Cleveland Avenue had a front porch and a cute fenced yard in the back. I used to lie on my belly on the lawn reading Ann Rice novels while my guinea pig “Wheatie” munched grass in a tight line around my perimeter. When he was done he would climb into the sleeve of my t-shirt and take a nap.

My life was good. And it was all about to change.

It wasn’t an easy call to make, that call to my mother. I’m sure she could hear the shakiness in my voice, the hesitance in my words.

“Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“Um… ah… I’m pregnant.”

I was thankful that I had someone I could turn to for help, or even just advice, because being the only one that knew, even for the hour that it took me to walk home from the clinic downtown, made me feel so alone.

There was a reason she was the first person I called. My mother has common-sense, and she’s level-headed and calm. And I knew that she would be there for me, without missing a beat.

I wasn’t wrong. She spoke very calmly as she laid my options out on the table. They were the options I’d already been mulling over in my head all the way up Main Street, down Grand Boulevard and over to Cleveland, but they became more tangible once she uttered the words. Hearing them spoken aloud made them more manageable somehow.

She said if I didn’t want to go through with it, she would help me. If I chose to welcome a new member to our family, she would help me. Of course there was adoption as well. She said the hardest part is making a decision, and once I made up my mind about what I wanted to do, we would take it from there.

Hearing her voice on the other end of the line, the voice that had quietly guided me my entire life, I felt brave, and strong, and capable. She had given all those qualities to me.

The most important thing my mother told me that day was that everything would be okay.

And she was right. Six months later, I gave birth to my baby girl, the light of my life.

Thanks, Mom, for being there for me during the biggest decision of my life, and for all the years after. A single mom needs a guardian angel, and you are mine.

A mother is the truest friend we have.Washington Irving

23 comments:

velvet said...

Your mom is absolutely fantastic. You're so lucky to have a mother who is there for you like that. And your daughter is lucky to have you as a mother. :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Velvet! Aw, thanks. Yes, my mother really is wonderful. Even though I already knew what decision she would want me to make, she acted impartially until I had made the choice for myself.

Nikki Neurotic said...

What a great relationship you have with your mother...I don't really think that if I were in your situation, that I'd be able to turn to my mother like that...maybe eventually...but I don't think she would be the first person I would talk to.

Jim Thomsen said...

You are an earth-shattering writer, Tammie Jean. I'm in awe of your intgutive empathy, your observation of detail, your gently shaded nuance. I just discovered this blog, and it's one to treasure.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silver! Well I'm not saying it was an easy call to make, but I knew that she'd be my biggest advocate and supporter. Honestly, she wasn't always my confidante - I usually turned to my friends as a sounding board. But I felt that this issue would be beyond them, and ultimately I would be turning to my family anyway.


Hi Ninja! So nice to meet you, especially since you arrive with armfuls of compliments ;) Seriously, thank you so much! I really appreciate it, and I'm truly flattered.

Erica Ann Putis said...

Beautiful post. I have to go call my Mom now. :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! And thank you - I'm glad it inspired you... I think I have to call my mom too :)

Jim Thomsen said...

I'm envious of what you have, Tammie Jean. I had a mom and a dad who loved me but really weren't capable of extending themselves to me when I most needed someone. It's sad how many parents become parents without the slightest clue as to HOW to be parents — often they still have growing up of their own to do, often they're haunted by the things they didn't get to do before they "settled down"; often they see themselves in competition with their kids for attention. And often even the good ones know how to be good parents but haven't the slightest clue as to how to be FRIENDS with their children.

You beat long odds when you got to have your mom as your mom. You wom the mom lottery. Make sure you live a life in which your child has the same thought about you someday.

KJP said...

Timely story to share Tammie, especially in light of my having just gone through this with my oldest daughter a month ago. Like you mother, I tried to show support and let her know she is my daughter through thick and thin - but it was not quite what she was expecting from me and after a ton of tears that night has been very absent from my life.

So, I am hoping for the happy ending still....

Scott from Oregon said...

that is an awe shucks story that I know turned out super...

MyMaracas said...

How very lucky you are to have such love and support from your mom, Tammie. And how fortunate you are to have your lovely daughter, as well.

I do love stopping in here. Your blog is like a light in the dark.

Michael C said...

That was beautiful! A relationship like that is priceless!!!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi again Ninja! Yes, I definitely won the mom lottery. Although I'll tell you, she was very young when she had me, and like many had some growing up to do even while she was raising me. But she is a wonderful person, and I know how lucky I am to have her in my life.


Hi KJP! Sorry to hear you had a bit of a falling out with your daughter. I can't speak for her, but I can tell you that being faced with an unplanned pregnancy is a scary situation, one that can really shake you up. And I'm sure everyone handles that differently - some don't tell anyone, some want the decisions made for them so they don't have to make any themselves, some know exactly what they need to do the moment they find out. I made my decision before confiding in any of my friends, because I didn't want their reactions to sway my thinking. I hope you can find a way to remain accessible to your daughter, and hopefully she will come around. She may not realize how much your support can help her through. Good luck!


Hi Scott! Yes, it did turn out super :) I have a great family, and I appreciate all of them every day.


Hi Vicki! I agree - I'm fortunate to have both of them in my life. And thank you so much for your kind words - I appreciate that!


Hi Michael C! Thank you so much! And yes, it definitely is.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Wow. Not only a terrific story, but it is told so well. My Mom is Irish and shares a lot of your Mom's traits. There is nothing more important than family...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bud! Thanks so much! So your mother is another stubborn but wonderful Irish woman, hmm? Hehehe... gotta love 'em! :)

Dan said...

What a beautiful story Tammie! You and your little girl look so wonderful in that photo! Hugs.

Travis Cody said...

Yet again you floor me with the way you tell such an intense moment in your life.

I raise a glass to your mom, for getting straight to the point without recrimination.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Dan! And thank you! I've always thought she looked like a little porcelain doll in that one :)


Hi Travis! Yes, mom handled the whole situation beautifully. I really can't complain about the occasional times when she drives me crazy - she comes through in a big way when it really counts!

robkroese said...

That is awesome that you have someone who loves you so unconditionally. Fantastic.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! Unconditional love - exactly! We all need that, don't we?

katie eggeman said...

A lovely tribute to your mom!

CS said...

Boy, you look like just a child yourself in that photo! Your mom had the best possible reaction - no judgment, just a discussing of options and the promise of supprt. It couldn't have gone better than that.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bankerchick! And thank you - she deserves it :)


Hi CS! Yes, her reaction was perfect, which is all the more wonderful considering she was completely put on the spot with some shocking news - no time to formulate the appropriate response. It was her natural reaction.