Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kids at the Bar

Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist. – Michael Levine

I hate hate hate when I see a kid in a bar. It’s not an appropriate environment for a child. They absorb every aspect of the bewildering spectacle with their innocent, impressionable little eyes.

I don’t care if you came here straight from your softball game with the team and you weren’t planning on staying long.

I don’t care if you think your little 5 year old is having a ball galloping around the dance floor to the overplayed tunes of the garage cover band.

Didn’t you notice that she almost got stepped on by the big drunk guy who was backing away from the bar with a pitcher in each hand, yelling to the bartender that he would be right back for two more?

Didn’t you notice your little one stopping and staring, mouth agape and eyes wide with astonishment, at the young couple leaning against the pole, her kissing and clawing voraciously at the man's neck, him clutching her barely-covered breast and eagerly grinding into her?

Don’t you see the other patrons shooting looks of disgust at you? They came here to let loose and have a good time, but those who aren’t already inebriated are now hesitant due to the unwelcome presence of your adorable little buzz-kill.

Don’t you realize that it’s 11:30 at night, and she’s rubbing her eyes as she walks in circles around the bar looking for you? It’s bad enough that you have subjected an innocent, doe-eyed child to this loud, clumsy, sticky den of beer and expletives, but to not even be keeping an eye on her is absolutely unconscionable.

I get so disgusted by people sometimes.

And what about the bars? I’m sorry, but if it’s 21 to get in, then it should be 21 to get in. Period. I’m sure if I showed up at our favorite watering hole with my 15 year old in tow, we would be turned away because she’s too young to be admitted. So why is it okay for a pre-schooler? Is a toddler any less vulnerable to the pandemonium of adult night life?

********

Maybe I feel so strongly about this because I was once the kid at the bar.

For those of you who are familiar with my blog, you know that I speak very highly of both of my parents. I was (and still am) blessed to have them, and I have few complaints about my upbringing. But I’ve never said it was perfect.

My mother was the champion shortstop on the local pub's softball team when she was in her 20’s. More than once the players ended up back at the Trails End Tavern for a victory celebration after the game. And since I was at the game, sometimes entertaining myself on the swings and the monkey bars, sometimes cheering on the team from the bench, sometimes off picking flowers for mommy - I ended up at the bar.

Yes, the team had use of the back room, so we were somewhat isolated from the other patrons.
But all the women were drinking and laughing and carrying on. I have an image in my head of my mother’s friend Kathy on her knees up on the table, shaking her very generous maracas and everybody howling and cheering. I probably didn't understand most of the conversations or the jokes.

But when they wanted to discuss something that even they had the sense to deem inappropriate for my little ears (I understand this in retrospect, of course), they asked me to get them pistachios out of the vending machine. The vending machine was out in the bar, so I would have to leave the relative safety of the back room, traverse the chaotic span of cacophonous drinking and merriment, around the guys playing darts, past the shuffle board bowling game and the cigarette vending machine, and over to the tall red machines with the nuts.

I remember thinking I was being very helpful as I slid the quarter into the slot, turned the metal handle, and received the red-stained seeds in my outstretched cupped hands. I felt proud as I brought them back and presented them to my mother’s friends, who thanked me and kissed me sloppily on my head and told me I was the best.

I thought it was fun at the time, and maybe I felt special to be out with Mom. But I do remember the cigarette smoke burning my eyes and throat, and I was always a little fearful of the drunken people because of my uncle, who was an alcoholic.

I was also a little worried that we were going to get in trouble with Dad.

Once we arrived home after midnight, and after I was put in bed I heard my parents arguing. My father was furious that my mother had me out at the bar. It was a really bad fight; my mother was crying. I remember thinking that I should go and tell my dad that it was okay, because I had fun being out. But I was afraid, and I stayed in my bunk and just listened and cried a little bit for Mom.

I remember other times when my father showed up at the bar and took me home. I was disappointed because I was having a good time with the girls and didn’t want to go yet. But I could tell that Dad was angry. He didn’t say much when he was angry.

Now that I’m older I can obviously see that my father was right.

When the subject comes up these days, my mother falls back on the fact that she was so young when she had us. “We were babies having babies,” she’ll say.

Hmm… I was about the same age, just before my 22nd birthday, when I had Mandy. I’ve never brought my precious girl out partying with me and she has never had to step over my passed out, hung-over body to use the toilet in the morning.
It’s an issue of maturity, not age.

But hey, I'm sure I'm not a perfect parent either. So I just nod my head and agree. “Yes, Mom, you were very young when you had us.”

Oh, well. Eventually my parents grew up. Although it was my father that didn’t approve of drinking or swearing around us kids, he was the one who had to learn patience and to keep his temper in check. They were both young. They both had their shortcomings.

It’s kind of funny to me now, actually, that I knew them both when they were young and immature. They watched me grow up; I watched them grow up.
But sometimes I wonder who my guardian angel was back then.

30 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

I was a bar kid as well. My dad, for many years, worked in bars. When I was very young he managed a bar not far from my home...I think he was the day time manager and on occasion my mother would take me in to say hello to my dad on days that he worked. Since it was early in the day, there wouldn't be very many patrons and I would spend the visit playing Pacman. Even when my dad got a job at another bar, if I was with him running errands or whatnot, he would occasionally have to stop by for one reason or other and I'd go in with him...it was not a bad environment...it was a lot calmer than family get together's at any rate! I think it's just common sense...you don't bring a kid into a crowded bar on a Friday night, but it's probably not going to hurt them if you stop by at 11am on a Tuesday morning to give your hubby a quick smooch and have your four year old kid with you...it's not going to affect them in the long run.

LZ Blogger said...

Sometimes the best parents come from kids who don't want their kids to have to endure the things that they thyemselves really disliked about the way they were raised. Bottom line though, is that once you are an adult, your decisions are YOURS! ~ jb///

Travis Cody said...

I wasn't a bar kid, but I was an adult party kid.

My folks would host pinochle parties with 2-3 other coules. I was allowed in the room as long as I kept quiet. I usually had my legos or tinker toys on the floor in the corner of the dining room.

I know it's not really the same, but I was exposed to drunks and cigarettes and adult stories.

Although when it got too racey, all my mom had to do was look in my direction and I knew it was time to gather the toys and go to my room.

Jim Thomsen said...

Wow. I can't relate my childhood to yours in the least, but I was riveted to your story. Very compelling and fascinating.

I was not in on the "adult" part of my parents' lives at all, so this peek behind the curtain really was of interest to me.

How much do you figure this had to do with the kind of mother you are now?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silver! No, stopping by in the afternoon is nothing like hanging out on a Friday night. As a child, I'd actually seen the Trails End during the day (stopping by with my Dad I think to say hello to someone) and it was a completely different scene. Yes, you're right - it's just common sense.


Hi JB! I agree. Your childhood doesn't predetermine the kind of parent you'll become - it's the decisions you make, based on your experiences good or bad.


Hi Travis! Ah yes, the adult conversation... when everyone explodes with laughter and you have no idea what was so funny. And when you ask, the answer is always "Never mind." My parents had only one party that I can recall. I think I slept through most of it, but I still remember the glasses and bottles all over the house in the morning.


Hi Ninja! Well, I think I learned mostly good things from my mother, really. But how did this little piece of my childhood translate to my parenting style? My daughter has never seen me intoxicated. I don't think it's appropriate.

Ed & Jeanne said...

And how about those parents way back when that just left there kids in the car when they went into the bar for awhile. Yikes!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Variant E! I remember waiting in the car while my mother or father ran into the store for something quickly. I wouldn't even do THAT with my daughter. But to leave the kids in the car while out socializing - can you imagine?!

houseband00 said...

I wouldn't bring my kid to the bar. If I couldn't get anyone to babysit, I'd rather stay at home with him.

I reserve Monday nights for my time out with friends and I make it a point to have someone to babysit.

Dan said...

Holy crap! I haven't seen one of those old clunky cigarette machines in years!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Houseband! I know - can you imagine? It's hard for me to believe when I look back. I would never even drink in front of my daughter, let alone bring her out partying with me.


Hi Dan! The cigarette machines aren't around anymore, since they can't verify the age of the buyer. Many have been converted for other uses. I remember enjoying pulling the handle and getting cigarettes for my dad.

MyMaracas said...

Sometimes we learn what not to do from our parents, and it sounds like you've learned well. I'm amazed the bars allowed you in at that age; I thought they could get their licenses pulled for that.

What makes me nuts is the folks who schlep into R-rated movies with little kids in tow, diaper bags and blankies and all.

Marisa said...

This is a similar feeling to the one I get when I am downtown on Duval street and wonder why in the hell people plan a "family vacation" with small children to Key West. Idiots.

Jill said...

I spent a good part of my childhood waiting in the office of a bar with my dad bringing me Shirley Temples with extra cherries.
At the time it seemed so cool. I was in the "adult place."
But really I was sitting in a dingy office drinking a Shirley Temple and doing my homework.
But I do think my parents did a great job raising my me and my sister.
That doesn't mean I will bring my kids to bars.
When I have kids, they will not be exposed to that. There are a lot of places kids don't belong. Not just for the kids, but for the sake of the other patrons.
I like to go wine tasting and I see people in wineries with kids. Those poor kids look so bored. And they act out, which makes it uncomfortable for everyone else, not to mention dangerous when you have a 5-year-old throwing a tantrum in a room full of bottles and glasses.
Then there are the people who bring Junior and Muffy to dinner at a 5-star restaurant. Sure, they have the right to be there. But do they really want to be there?
Probably not. And if you can afford the 5-star meal, you can afford the babysitter to stay home and eat mac 'n' cheese with the kids and watch a movie. Which the kids probably prefer anyway.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Vicki! Oh, me too! I almost wrote about little kids at R rated movies in this post too, but I could just go on and on...


Hi Reesepie! And welcome! Although I've never been there, I've heard about the nightlife on Duval. People who visit have most likely planned an "adult vacation" and just happen to be dragging their kids along...


Hi Jill! Nice to meet you! I agree with you about the wineries and 5 star restaurants - if parents are planning a family outing, it would be nice to take the children's interests in to consideration (and as you mentioned, they could consider the other patrons as well who are trying to enjoy an adult outing).

robkroese said...

What about people who bring their 6 year olds into R rated movies? What is up with that?

Scott from Oregon said...

What about the parents who take their little ones into a big auditorium and make them stare at an effigy of a man being tortured to death nailed to some lumber and hung on the wall?

Now THAT is some horrific stuff!

Jill said...

Scott,
Have you seen the movie "Jesus Camp?"
THAT is horrific.
If you need to get riled up or pissed off, watch "Jesus Camp."

Magdalene-Sophie said...

to silver: it probably affects different people differently, depending on the bar itself and what goes on in it too :)

to tammiejean: this post gave me something to think about. my biological mother worked in a bar, where she had me. she gave me up for adoption, so i never became a bar kid :)

Malathionman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Malathionman said...

I hate it when I'm trying to stuff $10 bills in the dancer's g-string and I notice that little kid in the corner.... oops, never mind.

My parents were so dysfunctional. I learned a lot of "what not to do" from my dad. Now that he is gone, he is always the first person I miss when I have something important going on in my life. It's really hard to break that parent/child bond. My kids are adopted. They were taken from their crummy parents by the county. The oldest (9 when we got her) took most of the abuse and still longs to be with them.

CS said...

The exception that springs to mind is the quiet pub with live music where you can sit with your kid (but not a very young kid) who likes music. I don't think I ever entered a bar as a child but I certainly saw plenty of drunkeness at home. Including the wild teachers' parties at my mother & stpefather's. There's nothing quite like seeing your teachers wasted on Saturday night back in the classroom on Monday morning! But honestly, that didn't trouble me. It was the drunk rage at home while the favored football team was losing - I'd take a bar any day.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! I totally agree - how scary to sit in a dark theater and hear the sounds of horror movies, or the violence or the expletives that they aren't allowed to repeat. I've even seen infants at R rated movies. Sometimes people are so selfish...


Hi Scott! That reminds me - I was very surprised to hear all of the people that were taking their little ones to see Passion of the Christ. I really don't think exposing kids to the violence of a 45 minute brutal beating is appropriate in any way, even if it is religion.


Jill - I've never seen that one. Sounds interesting...


Hi Magdalene-Sophie! I'm sure you're right that it can affect kids differently, depending on what they're exposed to. As for your biological mother, I imagine that she wished a better environment for you than she felt she could provide.


Hi Malathionman! Yes, we learn both what to do and what not to do from our parents (hopefully we're able to figure out which is which!) And I know kids in similar situations as your daughter - not taken away from their parents, but still glued to their mother's side despite abuse and neglect.


Hi CS! Hmmm... I'd have to agree that drunken rage is one of the scarier manifestations, although I was also frightened by the falling-down drunks. And live music... yeah, nothing better. I'll admit to keeping my 13 year old brother at a restaurant/bar quite a bit past dinner so he could hear the band (good friends of mine). Although we stayed back in the restaurant and listened from there.

Kiyotoe said...

I absolutely HATE being out late at night and seeing a couple out with their young kid at 1, 2 maybe even 3 am. I just want to ask them "what the hell are you thinking?"

what kind of precedent are you setting for that child.

See: Lindsay Lohan.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Hi Tammy Jean-

The selfishness or some parents borders on the absurb. You told the story well. Great post!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! I know what you mean... I get so annoyed when I see kids in a bar I can hardly enjoy myself. And yes... bad precedent for sure.


Hi Bud! Yes, selfishness is what it is... plus immaturity.

Patty O said...

Hey, I'm Pat.

Yeah, one time a few friends and I were at Hooters one night, and there were two families there with their kids. Definitely seemed a little tacky to me.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Pat! Nice to meet you! Yeah, when I was on vacation last week, I saw a typical family of four walking down the boardwalk. The mom and the 14-year-old daughter were wearing matching black hooters tank tops. I was speechless!

Patty O said...

Yeah, that sounds like crappy parenting to me.

velvet said...

Yeah, kids at a bar... so inappropriate!

I feel weird if my kids see me drink at home, even if it's a glass of wine with dinner. Take them to a bar? No way!

Tammie Jean said...

Patty - it was the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Velvet - same for me, I generally don't drink in front of my daughter. Would never dream of "partying" with her.