Friday, October 19, 2007

Wild Horses

It was the middle of the night, probably 2 in the morning, and Mandy was on her way to the bath house to use the restroom.

Our campsite seemed to be equidistant from the two closest bath houses, so one day I counted my steps to each one: 96 steps to the one on the left of us, 96 steps to the one on the right. But for some reason Mandy preferred the one on the left.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, the light from the full moon reflected so brilliantly off the white sand on Assateague Island that we never needed to carry flashlights. One could easily distinguish the narrow roadway, the other campsites, the bushes and the dunes no matter what time of night.

So Mandy was walking alone in the dark without a flashlight, heading for the glowing building 96 steps to the left of our campsite. The salty breeze made her blond hair billow as she walked.

She could hear the waves crashing on the other side of the dunes and the occasional sanderling flying overhead. We had never realized that these little sea birds hunt both day and night, racing toward the retreating waves to feast on tiny crustaceans and sea life left behind on the sand.

But otherwise, the night was still and very peaceful. All the campers were sleeping soundly, their bodies weary from another day in the sand, surf and sun, their campfires finally reduced to glowing red embers.

Mandy became aware of a gang heading toward her from up ahead on the roadway. They weren’t speaking, but the moonlight informed her that there were quite a few of them. Teenagers, she supposed.

She continued on in the direction of the bath house, the light from it silhouetting the silent parade as it approached and creating long shadows which now touched her feet.

Within moments she was completely surrounded. They looked her over. They nudged her, obviously curious to know who she was and why she was walking alone down the road that apparently belonged to them.

As Mandy’s eyes focused, she came to the delightful realization that she was completely encircled by a group of wild horses.

After a few more nudges and a snort or two, they were off. Their meeting was brief, but it was the sort of magical encounter that makes you smile and wonder if you’re dreaming.


****


One of my favorite memories from our first trip to Assateague five years ago was the time I woke up early to use the restroom and decided to steal a quick peak over the dunes. I’d wanted to see the beach completely uninhabited, but what I’d found was even better.

The weather had been quite hot and humid that week. And so before the campers had arisen from their tents to brew some instant coffee and shake the sand from the beach towels drying on their picnic table benches, the horses had decided to overtake the beach.

There was a herd of white horses with dark brown patches walking through the surf.

There was another mixed herd farther up the beach doing the same.

There were groups of two or three horses standing here and there, squinting in the hazy sunrise.

There was a mother standing guard as her foal rested on the sand.

And standing there with her eyes wide and her mouth agape was a fool who had gone up to the top of the dune in the early morning without her camera.

It’s hard to run in the sand. It’s even harder to run in the sand at 6am when you haven’t even sipped that cup of instant coffee yet. But there I was, running urgently yet sloppily with sandaled feet and no caffeine, back to my tent to retrieve my faithful companion of those days, my 35mm camera. I tried to rouse little Mandy, but she wouldn’t budge.

By the time I'd returned to the beach, some of the herds had moved much farther down the shoreline or back to the dunes. But I was able to capture the mother and her foal, as well as a few other groups of horses that had remained for a while longer.

This was the sort of scenario I had been hoping to duplicate on my next trip to Assateague. I was ever-vigilant, checking the view over the dunes at all times of day, and my camera was always on my shoulder.


*****

But it never happened that way on our recent trip. For some reason, the wild horses were scarce during the day.

I was able to track a few to the mosquito-infested marsh on the other side of the island and get some photos, but I didn’t see the herds like last time, and I didn’t see them on the beach.

They seemed to mainly come out at night like bands of hooligans dominating the campground. Campers carefully secured their food and hid their coolers, but the ruffians knew where to look.

In fact, a cooler with a tough latch is no match for a wild horse with his sights set on a midnight snack. We discovered this our very first night.

We awoke to the sound of whinnying, of pans crashing on our picnic table, and of incessant banging on the cooler. Even in my dazed state I knew they were focused on the cooler, the one with the latch that was on the ground next to my father’s truck. “They’re not getting into that thing,” I thought.

I thought wrong. They’d eaten all the tomatoes and all the carrots by the time my father’s girlfriend Jackie got up to investigate. Other, less desirable food was strewn around on the ground with holes ripped in the packaging by probing teeth. Henceforth, the coolers and all snacks were kept in the truck. We were much more prepared for their subsequent nighttime visits.

They were entertaining to watch though, exhibiting playful, almost frisky behavior at night. They chased each other up and down to dunes and whinnied and stole food. It looked like fun.

*****

Our time at the campground was over too soon, and we packed up and headed for Ocean City for some boardwalk time and one night in a hotel.

Of course, there was still the problem of my car's battery light. The alternator was history, and it was just a matter of time before my battery was too. Luckily, it lasted all the way to our hotel on 26th Street and died there in the parking lot.

There was an auto parts store in town and my father is handy, so it didn’t take long to get my little car working again (once we had the right tools, that is). So after some food, some shopping for school clothes, and a good night’s sleep, we were on our way… home sweet home, here we come…

But it wasn’t going to be that easy.

Being someone who drives an older-model car and accustomed to checking the gauges, I noticed that the car was running hot about an hour into the 5 ½ hour trip. Hmm, that was strange, especially since I had my oil changed and all fluids checked before setting off on this journey.

I pulled over and bought some coolant, refilled the reservoir, and set off again.

Half an hour later the gauge was almost up in the red. As it turned out, there was a leak. I found some empty jugs around the next gas station and filled them up with water – no sense wasting money on coolant that will end up on the roadway like a trail of breadcrumbs to my house. If only I could make it all the way home…

Well, I couldn’t. I made it most of the way, within an hour’s drive. Triple A got me the rest of the way there, but the whole ordeal took about 12 hours total. A flatbed towtruck lowered my car into the driveway at about 5am.

I had the old car repaired, and it will wait in the garage for Mandy’s 16th birthday. It will be fine for around town.

And as for me, I’ve got something new – brand new, with that new car smell and everything. I haven’t had a new car in 10 years, so I'm pretty excited!



I may even have to plan another road trip...

25 comments:

Erica Ann Putis said...

Beautiful pictures and congrats on the new car! Not having to worry about breaking down is heavenly. :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! Yeah, the old car has been making me worry for the past year. When I told my mechanic I took it to Maryland, he said, "Why? To see what would happen?" It's nice to have peace of mind again.

Scott from Oregon said...

Did you sing a little Jagger?

"Wild horses...la la la..."

The fact that you went hunting in the marshes with your camera pleases me to no end...

Travis Cody said...

Congrats on the new car.

And what a great vacation on the beach. I've camped in the mountains, but never on the beach. Might be something to think about.

Kiyotoe said...

there's a song called "wild horses" that I love but I can't find it anywhere to buy or download because i don't know who sings it. I saw it on an episode of Buffy a long time ago...

umm.. don't tell anybody that i used to watch buffy, okay?

great pics TJ.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! No, but that would have been cool... I forgot about that song!
And what is it about me hunting horses in the marsh? The image of me slopping through the overgrown grasses and brush with my tripod, or just the fact that I would go to such lengths? :)



Hi Travis! And thanks! The new car is so cool so far - I love it! One word of advice when camping on the beach: extra long sand stakes, because it's so windy. It's a different experience than mountain camping, but good fun just the same as long as you like the beach (and s long as you don't mind sand in everything you own).


Hi Kiyotoe! Oh, your secret is out now! But we all have at least one guilty pleasure we don't readily admit to, don't we? ;)
I think the song is the one Scott mentioned - Wild Horses by the Stones. Although it was covered by at least a dozen different bands (Dave Matthews, the Cranberries, Tori Amos...) Not sure what version they used on Buffy.

Magdalene-Sophie said...

you got a new car! yay! drive me around in it :P
i've never tried to run in the sand.. must try one day :)
this whole post (and it's title) reminded me of the song 'wild horses' which natasha beddingfield sings a cover :)

Magdalene-Sophie said...

oh and i'm not sure if it's the song by the stones..

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Magdalene-Sophie! Yes, a new car makes driving fun again, and it almost makes my commute tolerable.
I love the feel of sand massaging my feet as I walk, but it makes running no easy task. Still, it's fun to try :)
I'll have to check out the Natasha Beddingfield song...

KJP said...

ok, curious horses might just be a little freaky - especially on a camping trip, in the dark, maybe I have read to much Steven King!

sounds like it all turned out well though, right down to getting a new car!

Patty O said...

I liked the introductory story about the girl and the wild horses. Reminds me of that U2 song, "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?"

Ed & Jeanne said...

Nice pics. But clowns and mimes are creepy...

CS said...

What a magical place. I'm definitely adding this to my list of places to go.

Glamourpuss said...

Beautiful. Horses are magical creatures. Do you know the Edwin Muir poem The Horses? It's a favourite of mine.

Puss

Jim Thomsen said...

I'm guessing you read a lot of those "Misty Of Chincoteague" books as a kid.

I never had the pony jones ... but every time I see them, I understand why others have it like a high fever. So much thunder and grace and apocalyptic poetry.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi KJP! I'm sure in Stephen King's hand, the wild horses story would have been much different! And yes, if the horrible trip home is the catalyst for me finally getting a new car, so be it :)


Hi Patty O! Oh yeah, I forgot about that song - good tune!


Hi VE! That clown is creepy, isn't he? He's from one of those boardwalk games where you shoot the water gun into his mouth to blow up the balloon. It's even creepier that it's so old and weathered...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CS! It is a great place - camping, with the added benefit of the ocean and the horses. I recommend it!


Hi Puss! I wasn't familiar with that poem or website - thanks for the link!


Hi Ninja! I think horses are amazing creatures, but I don't necessarily have a jones specific to them. I think it's more for wildlife in general. Right now I'm researching this place that's a wolf preserve - now THAT would be an awesome photo safari! I hope they have cabins though...

Atypical California Girl said...

That sounds like a great trip.
I have a friend at work who is on a road trip through Arizona, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico right now.
I am so jealous.
I have never done a trip like that. Just go where the whim takes you with a loose itinerary of where you want to go.
I really need to do that.

Congrats on the car, too!

MyMaracas said...

Congrats on the new car!

I love the idea of marauding horses, trying the locks in the night. We had a bear in camp once who ripped the whole top of the cooler off its hinges to get at some lunchmeat, but I wouldn't have thought horses could manage to get one open.

Sounds like a magical trip! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Vicki

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammie Jean said...

Hi Atypical! I'm jealous of your coworker too - those areas are so beautiful they don't even look real when you see them with your own eyes! And it's always fun to set off with a few stars on a road map and see which way the wind blows you... road trips are great :)


Hi Vicki! Yeah, the horses surprised me too. I would have suspected bears or raccoons, but I guess you don't even need paws to raid a cooler. I'm assuming they used their teeth? Where there's a will, there's a way...


And thank you both for the congrats on the car - I'm lovin' it :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
katie eggeman said...

Mr BC and I are so going here someday. I have placed it on a list of things to do. You write so beautifully.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bankerchick! Oh definitely go... it's a great place! And then you can always go to the Ocean City Boardwalk for some funnel cakes :)