Saturday, May 5, 2007

Making a list and checking it twice...

Today I'm going to finish up on CSL's interview questions...

So, how many of the things on your "checklist of good ideas" from the end of last year have you kept?

Ooh… what a good reminder! I haven’t checked in on that list in quite a while. As I look it over, though, I realize I haven’t been doing as poorly with my intentions for this year as I’d thought.

I have been spending more time with family and friends. Sean and I have been inviting people to dinner here and there, and we’ve been meeting friends out on the weekends pretty consistently. I haven’t seen my cousin’s band lately, though. Maybe I’ll give him a call.

I’ve also been sending real emails to my friends over the past few months. I haven’t been calling my relatives on Saturday mornings, though. Something else to do now…

I’ve been taking my lunchtime walks, and I’ve been walking around the lake on the weekends, so I can check off exercising. I don’t have time to be any more serious than that.

Hmm… I haven’t been keeping the brain sharp like I intended. No Spanish, no crossword puzzles, no reading lately. Darn. No belly dancing either. I need more hours in my days.

I haven’t started putting my photos into albums. But I have been cooking quite a bit. So that one gets a “check”.

Yeesh. I haven’t been creative every week. Did I really think that every week was feasible? More like every once in a while. I like to mess around with an altered book here and there.

It feels less serious than “I’m going to make a painting” or something like that. Plus, it kind of supplies its own ideas sometimes, depending on the words on the page.

I liked the words on this dog page...

I should really get back to drawing though…



I haven’t been typing the war letters in either. I have so much more to catalog, too. In addition to the letters, there are newspapers from 1945 declaring the end of the war, and lots of crazy postcards...

But I have been taking pictures every day and aggressively pursuing photography. Checkmark that one. Hopefully I can make it a full-time gig and quit the 9 to 5 like I planned.

Thanks for making me look over my list! I’d better get going on some more of these…

Do friends and family members read your blog, and if they do – does that shape what you choose to write about?

No, no one reads my blog. I wanted to start out with it just being my own, personal, secret place to log my thoughts and memories. I didn’t want the thought of an audience to influence what I write. I will probably let my husband in on it, though. There’s always more that we can learn about each other, so it might be a excellent catalyst for future discussions.

I asked someone else this too, and am ceaselessly curious about it as a phenomenon of the blog world: What is it that draws you to another person's blog and keeps you visiting?

Well I think there are several things that draw me in, as well as a few that keep me away. I generally stay away from the big debates, like politics, religion, abortion rights, gun laws. I’m usually on here while I’m at work, and I’m not seeking a break from the daily drudgery only to end up in a “heated exchange of ideas” (read: argument). I also usually stay away from some of the pop culture posts. I have no interest in what Britney Spears is doing this week.

I think the blogs I frequent represent people I could see being my friends “on the outside”, people that I can relate to in some way. They may have nothing at all in common with each other – one might make me laugh, while another makes me think, and another makes me say “I would have done the same thing” or “I’ve thought about that too.” My friends in the real world aren’t carbon-copies of each other, and they aren’t in the blog world either.

Sometimes it’s just one sentence or post that interests me initially, and that prompts my return for a few more posts or to read back through some earlier ones to get a “feel” for the blogger and what they’re about. I enjoy getting to know the people on here, and I enjoy honest exchanges of thoughts, ideas, and personal stories.

Thanks so much for the fantastic questions CSL! If anyone would like me to interview them, let me know in the comments :)


Next, on the the interview questions from The Dragon :)

16 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

I haven't had much time lately, but these last posts are fantastic!

Wish I had more time to comment on each one...

Even the vavavavoom ones...

Michael C said...

Great answers!

Elaine Denning said...

I've just been browsing through your archives and wanted to comment on your very obvious talent. The photography, especially, is amazing, but it seems you can turn your hand to almost anything!
Great blog :)

Akelamalu said...

I love your reasons for reading other people's blogs - my sentiments entirely! :)

KJP said...

My desire in life is to be a starving artist, which may be realized since I seem to lack your talent. Very nice.

Lizza said...

You're a very talented lady! Those scrapbooks obviously take time to create, and it looks like you did a great job.

I'm pretty much with you on the kinds of blogs you like; I feel pretty much the same way.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! I know what you mean. Every once in a while I get so busy at work that I feel like I'm neglecting everyone. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and say hello! :)

Hi Michael! Thanks so much! And thanks for the lessons from your Things I've Learned List - it's nice to start Monday morning off with a laugh :)

Hi Miss Understood! Thank you so much - what a wonderful compliment! I enjoyed reading through your blog the other day too, and I'm sure I'll be back :)

Hi Akelamalu! Yes, it's nice finding people you can relate to here in the blog world. It really is a great community :)

Hi KJP! LOL thank you so much! And thanks for stopping by to say hello - nice to meet you :)

Hi Lizza! Well the scrapbooks are really just messin' around. They're kind of fun, though, and sometimes I get some good ideas while I'm playing.
And I think I like too many blogs - the problem becomes keeping up with so many wonderful bloggers! I'm almost afraid to venture out and read others... I'll probably find more I like...

CS said...

Thanks for the answers! I have some of the same thoughts about blogging,although I do occassionally get into "the big debates."

Oh, and ahem. It's CS, now. Dropped the L - divorce, you know. At another tangential thinker. Since you let me interview you, you've got to update that blogroll!

Professor Howdy said...

The food sure looks good in the first pic...

mist1 said...

I like altered books too.

Scott from Oregon said...

Tomorrow (today?) I am tackling all of Cs's questions. If you want to add five of your own, I'll tackle those too...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CS! My apologies for not picking up on the details... My blogroll has been updated, and there will be no more mention of that pesky "L" :)
Thanks again for a great set of questions - this was fun!

Hi Professor Howdy! Hee hee thanks! I can find my way around a kitchen. I think that night I made baked ziti :)

Hi Mist! Well I'm not surprised... you seem to have hundreds of hobbies (and find the time to blog about them!) Which reminds me, I'm several days behind on your posts... I hate that! I don't like to miss any of your adventures.

Hi Scott! I'd be glad to give you five questions! May not be until the weekend though (I'm having a very busy week at work).

Malathionman said...

It's just opinion, but I think you should keep your blog private. You don't want to have to worry about what you write. It is really nice to have that kind of freedom.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Malathionman! Yes I've thought about that too. I've also wondered if my husband might say "That would be good for your blog!" every time he said something funny and then check to see if I'd written about it yet. Hee hee... he is pretty funny. Not sure yet whether I'll tell him about it or not.

Dan said...

Tammie Jean, you are very talented! This is wonderful stuff. Yes, by all means, start drawing again!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Dan! Yes, I really should find the time to make some artwork, or even just sketch. My husband is going away for a few days... maybe I can schedule some art time for myself. We'll see... Thanks for the encouragement!