Monday, March 19, 2007

Fessin’ Up to My First-Grade Crush


When I was in first grade, I had the biggest crush on Mike H. Actually, I think it started in kindergarten. It may have even been love at first sight. How could it not be? He had the biggest blue eyes and curly blond hair. He was adorable! Yes, it probably started in kindergarten.

But it wasn’t until first grade that I made my big move.

I grew up in a very un-country-like suburb of New York. We did not own chickens or cows. If we ate corn on the cob, it was because we bought some from the A&P, not because we had it growing out in our fields. My parents were Mom and Dad, not Ma and Pa like on Little House on the Prairie, which was my favorite show as a child. (I always wished I was as pretty as Mary Ingalls. And I thought it totally sucked when she went blind, but she was still pretty.)

But even though we weren’t “country folk,” every kid in my area learned how to square dance at school. It was an entire unit in gym class, usually held over the winter when we couldn’t go outside. Slim Sterling was the square dance caller, and his arrival at school marked the beginning of six weeks of learning to do-si-do, promenade, and allemande left. Oh, and six weeks of holding the sweaty palms of the boys in class.

“My car’s name is Rollscanardly,” Mr. Sterling would tell us every year. “’cause she rolls down one hill and ‘canardly’ make it up the next!” Oh yeah, he had a bunch of corny jokes that he would throw in while he was calling, and they were the same ones over and over. The kids giggled at him when they were young, but groaned when they were older.

He would purposely mix things up during the dance for the older kids to confuse us and try to catch us out of step.

Bow to your partner. Now bow to your corner. Now swing your corner. Swing your partner. Do-si-do your corner. Do-si-do your... corner again. Allemande left!

Secretly, I always looked forward to the square dance unit. Oh I would moan and complain all the other reluctant kids when ol’ Slim showed up, but I enjoyed it. It was fun!

In the early grades we didn’t learn all of the complicated steps. We just did a lot of “Clap Clap Bow” and other simple moves, but we did dance with a partner. And here’s the important part, how we would find our partner:
1) Slim Sterling would ask all the boys to form a big circle, holding hands and stretching the circle out as big as it would go.
2) The girls would form a big circle outside the boys’ circle.
3) Everyone would drop hands.
4) The boys would be asked to turn and face their partner in the outside circle.

This is how it went in kindergarten.

So in first grade, I already knew the drill. I remembered it from the year before. And when Slim asked the girls to form a circle outside the boys’ circle, I made a mad dash to align myself strategically behind Mike H. When he turned around, oh! Look at that! I was the lucky girl that got to be his partner.

The other first grade girls were jealous. “Lucky!” they sneered at me with narrowed eyes. I was not the only one infatuated with that angelic face.

I tried not to smile too wide. I tried not to make it obvious that I had known exactly what I was doing. My cheeks may have gotten a little flushed though, as we stared into each other’s eyes, making sure our moves were coordinated: Clap, clap, bow. Clap, clap, bow. Stamp, stamp, turn yourself around.

********

At my 15 year high school reunion, Daniel F. confessed that he had a crush on me in the 5th grade.

“Aw, I think I knew that, Danny,” I said. “You always had a certain shy smile for me. That’s very cool of you to tell me, though - you made my night!”

“I think everyone should ‘fess up tonight,” Daniel said. “I mean, after all this time, who really cares? Maybe everyone would be happy to know someone had a crush on them.”

“That’s a great idea! You know who I have to ‘fess up to? Mike H.”

So I found Mike H. in the crowd, and I told him about the square dancing with Slim Sterling. He was laughing, smiling really wide, and maybe even blushing a little. “That is so cool.”

“Okay, now it’s your turn. Go find somebody and ‘fess up.”


********

I think everyone would benefit from hearing a kind word every now and again. Not just "I used to have a crush on you," although that one is certainly delightful to hear. Even "I always looked up to you when I was a kid" or "you have such a nice smile" or "you always make me laugh - thank you" could brighten someone's day.


Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. – Blaise Pascal


22 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

Kind of wish we had to dance in gym class. I don't think I'd ever work up the courage to track down any of my old crushes though.

Travis Cody said...

Beautiful post. And you're right, our kind words cost us nothing to give away because we can always recycle them and give them away again.

mist1 said...

First grade crush: Ben B. I don't wonder about him at all. He's not my type anymore.

Lizza said...

You were a devious first-grader! If I ever see my first crush again, I'll let him know he was the sunshine of my life when we were kids.

And I agree, sincerely meant kind words cost nothing but are priceless. Lovely post, Tammie Jean.

Jeff Roberts said...

Let's see...contact old crush on a week my wife is out of town. Nope, that sounds like suicide! :-)

I think they're all very aware of the crushes, actually. I'm quite sure most of them at some point receieved a note still sweaty from my palms with little boxes to check...do you remember those??? Five inocuous questions, then a "Will you go with me?" stuck in as if as an afterthought?

I think the best response I got to one of those was "No thank you, but you draw really nice checkboxes!"

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silverneurotic! Yes, the dancing was fun. And for all the complaining they did, I bet the boys liked it too ;)


Hi Travis! I think the trick, though, is remembering how much kind words can brighten someone's day, and actually making the effort to say what we are thinking.


Hi Mist1! I hear ya... Mike H isn't my type anymore either, but oh how he drew my attention when I was young!

Scott from Oregon said...

Did you all chase the poor kid around and pin him down and kiss him?

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! I was devious, wasn't I? When I thought back on that little episode, I was surprised at how aggressively I pursued the opportunity to dance with him. I don't think I was ever that aggressive again. At least not until college ;)



Hi Jeff! Oh, I remember getting those little notes...

Do you think so-and-so is cute?
( )Yes ( )No
Would you go out with him?
( ) Yes ( ) No
Who do you like?
________________(fill in the blank)

To give a girl a note like that, you must have been a brave little boy! Hee hee... I like how you threw in the important question at the end though. Good thinking!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! Oh hell no! Dancing was one thing... I didn't kiss a boy until I was in 8th grade at summer camp. I don't think my intentions with Mike H went beyond holding his hand. I was actually quite shy most of the time.

Erica Ann Putis said...

That is so cute and such an inspiring post. :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! And thank you! It was a fun memory to write about - I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Jeff Roberts said...

Brave only occasionally. I don't know why at that young age we were focused on exclusive relationships. I don't know why it never occurred to me to just invite someone to go to one movie until much later.

Oh, wait. Parent ridicule. Yeah, that was it. Jeff's got a girlfrieeeeeend! Cruel they were.

Dan said...

Very sweet stories Tammie. I remember my grammar school crushes as if they were just yesterday. And I remember Jamie, a girl who had a crush on me before I even knew what girls were! :) She would chase me all around the playground trying to kiss me. The boys would make fun of me over that!

velvet said...

I ended up dating my first grade crush in 7th grade. It ended badly when he decided to go to a hockey game with his friends instead of the Valentine's Dance with me. What can I say? That's a real deal-breaker in 7th grade. ;)

-velvet

robkroese said...

That's a great story and a great idea. I haven't seen either of my first 2 crushes in over 15 years, and wouldn't know where either of them are. I could probably find some more recent crushes, but my wife might have a problem with me contacting them. :)

BTW, Mike sounds like he looked just like my 8 year old son looks now (big blue eyes, curly blond hair, and just ridiculously handsome).

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Michael C said...

I agree! We all should say something nice to someone daily. It would be neat to hear that someone had a crush on you though!

houseband00 said...

The first crush I had was back in the sixth grade and it was with a cute high school girl with short curly hair.

I never knew what happened to her.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! LOL I remember those days too... parents never let you get away with anything!


Hi Dan! How aggressive Jamie was with her school-girl crush! I was very calculating but more subtle... hee hee! I think that approach continued throughout my teenage years and into my 20's :)


Hi Velvet! I agree... if a boy doesn't have his priorities in proper order, that is definitely a deal breaker!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! Oh boy, you are going to have your hands full with that adorable child of yours - the girls will be pounding at the front door! And I agree, tracking down old crushes may not sound like a reasonable undertaking to your wife. Perhaps you can focus your kind words on her instead ;)


Hi Michael C! It's easy to forget to compliment people. Just this morning, at the coffee machine here at work, someone I don't know smiled at me and said hello. And I thought, WOW, even a polite smile and friendly hello can make you feel great! People should just be friendlier...


Hi Houseband! Funny how we never forget the ones who first drew our young attentions...

Rich said...

I would like to thank you for the comments your wrote in regards to your grade school days of the Square Dance caller Slim Sterling.
I grew up with his square dances as well, and its always refreshing to see when others write about him as well. All the more reason I like seeing the articles is because he was my father.
Thank you again for the nice words
Rich.
TheOnlyTrueGentleman@msn.com

Tom said...

I, too, grew up with square dancing to the call of Slim Sterling. A great great guy. I worked as a counselor at Purchase Day Camp during the summers, and we had Slim call dances on Friday mornings. Then on Friday nights we counselors, sometimes a couple full squares worth, would go to the community square dances at the Kensico Dam plaza in Valhalla, also with Slim calling, and often to the live accompaniment of the band 'Apple Country'. When my wife and I married in 1985, my parents threw a party a few weeks later, with Slim Sterling calling square dances. Hats off to Slim.

redmondman said...

Found this while searching for Slim Sterling. Yes, I too look back fondly on those corny square dances. I didn't appreciate them (nor Slim) enough at the time.