Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Little Boy Blue

When I was young I was a little frightened of my uncle, who was an alcoholic. Sometimes he stayed with us for months at a time, and sometimes even when he wasn’t staying with us, we would get that knock on the door in the middle of the night, which meant he was drunk and had nowhere to go.

So when I was awakened by knocking and crying, I just knew it was him, and I was paralyzed in my bed in our little apartment on 6th Street. I wanted wake my mom and dad, but to get to their room I would have to cross the living room where the front door was rattling from incessant pounding. I was too afraid.

I laid in my bed listening to that knocking and wailing for what seemed like the longest time. Finally, I gathered up the courage to get out of bed and go wake them up.

As I ran toward the living room on bare tiptoes, mom and dad were just coming out of their bedroom. I stood frozen in the entryway, wide-eyed at what I might see when they opened the door to our apartment.

It turned out to be our neighbor from across the hall. She was cradling her tiny baby in her arms and crying.

“He’s not breathing.”

My dad took the bundle from her and laid him on the couch, and he began to perform mouth-to-mouth on the baby while my mother called the ambulance. And the distraught neighbor stood sobbing in her powder-blue nightgown, her hair in a low ponytail, mascara running down her cheeks.

I don’t know how long it took for the paramedics to get there, but I can still see them entering our apartment in their sanitary white coats, black medical bags in hand. I stood watching from the doorway as they worked on the fragile baby for a while, and then they took him away.

It was a few days later that I overheard my mother on the phone, saying “the poor little thing didn’t make it.” And I remember blaming myself… What if I had gotten out of bed sooner? Could the baby have been saved?

********

After the birth of my daughter, my mother and I were talking about the importance of CPR and knowing what to do in case of emergency. I hesitantly brought up the baby from across the hall, wondering if she would recall the incident. “Oh, remember that? The poor little thing – he was blue when she brought him over. Your father tried to save him, but the little guy was long gone.”

So after 16 years of blaming myself I finally felt a bit of relief.

But to the little baby boy from across the hall, I wanted you to know that I remember you, and I wish there was something I could have done to save you.

“If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.”
– Mercedes Lackey




10 comments:

Jeff Roberts said...

Powerful stuff! As a kid I once dropped a pin into a bottle of Pepsi at the house. I'm 99.999% sure that I immediately freaked out and poured it all down the drain, but when my Mom had her gallbladder out I wondered...

Erica Ann Putis said...

Wow - that's a pretty dramatic thing for a little kid to see...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! Yeah, it's so easy for kids to blame themselves for things that aren't even remotely their faults. That's probably why so many feel responsible for the divorce of their parents.

Hi Erica! Yes, too dramatic. I wonder now why my mother left me standing there to witness the whole thing. I guess she was preoccupied.

CS said...

It's amazing what kids will blame themselves for. Glad you had the relief of knowing the baby had already died, but it wouldn't have been your fault anyway. And I suspect with that strange sense of time kids have, the interval between you hearing the knockng and your parents getting to the door was actually much shorter than you remember.

houseband00 said...

Great post! =)

Regret is such an unavoidable monster, Tammie. Though I'd rather regret about not doing what others tell me to do than regret about not doing what my heart tells me.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CSL! Yes, I've thought about that too. Because I was young (about 6) and scared, probably what was just a minute or two seemed like forever. Thanks for reminding me of that.


Hi Houseband! I agree with you completely. Regret is much worse when you know you should have followed your heart or your instincts but didn't.

Julie said...

I couldn't comment when I first read this. As kids we blame ourselves for so much, and you know, that doesn't always change as we get older. I really love your writing. It makes me feel like we could be friends.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jules! It's funny, after I posted this I felt kind of bad, like I was being a big downer to anyone who might be reading :(
But not all reminiscing is happy.
Thank you though, for what I take as a huge compliment - I can relate with your writing as well and have thought the same of you, that we could be friends :)

Frank Marcopolos said...

very dramatic, indeed/

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Brooklyn Frank! Yes, it was a pretty heavy scene for a child to witness. One of those things that has stuck with me.
Your visit reminds me that it's Thursday and you must have a new post up! I'll have to check it out...