Monday, March 26, 2007

"Please, I’m begging you.”

When he saw the phone bill, he grabbed his cell phone and smashed it on the floor.

We have 3 cell phones on our plan, one for Sean, one for me, and one for Mandy, our teenaged daughter. We have a certain amount of minutes to share, and a certain amount of money that we feel is enough to throw towards cell phone usage. And that’s it.

When we received last month’s bill it was abnormally high, partly because we had exceeded our minutes, and partly because I had been making calls to Mandy while Sean and I were vacationing in Jamaica. So Sean gave Mandy a warning that she needs to limit her usage before nine o’clock during the week. Nights and weekends are free, and we only really need it for emergencies anyway. “When you’re at home, just use the house phone,” he told her.

It was the first time we had ever gone over.

So when the phone bill arrived this month, and it was $330 more than it should have been (bringing us up to a whopping $417), my dear husband became a raging bull. And his cell phone suffered the brutal consequences.

Sean wanted to withhold Mandy’s birthday presents next month to repay the overage. I said I’d rather have her work off the excess phone charges. Not giving her any presents just makes a sad birthday and doesn’t necessarily teach her anything. Doing chores around the house might give her a better understanding of just how long it takes to earn the kind of money that she wasted chatting on the phone with her boyfriend. $330 worth of vacuuming, mopping, dusting, and scrubbing the bathrooms is a lot of work. In another week or two there will be yard work to do as well. It will probably take her until the summer to repay the money, even at the very generous rate of $10 per hour. Sean agreed.

********

The next day Sean went to Best Buy to plead his case. He showed the guy behind the counter his mangled mess of a phone and explained that he needed a new one.

“Did you… drop it?”

“No.”

“What happened?”

“When I saw the phone bill, I grabbed my cell phone and smashed it on the floor.”

“Well who used up all the minutes?”

“My teenaged daughter.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Listen, you have to help me out here, man. From January until now, I’ll be spending about a thousand dollars on the cell phone bill. I just can’t justify another fifty bucks to replace my phone. Please, I’m begging you.”

“Alright, let me see what I can do.”

So he went into the back and came out with a new phone.

“Here you go. I’m just going to tell them that it wasn’t working properly and needed to be replaced. I feel for ya man. Good luck.”

Once again, honesty is the best policy.




"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance."

– Franklin P. Jones

12 comments:

Jeff Roberts said...

What a nice guy! My daughter hasn't blown the minutes on us yet, but I went WAY over the 8Mb data limit on my pda phone once. No data plan since then! :-)

robkroese said...

I would never be able to do that. I would just admit that it was all my fault and had no right to ask for anything and probably offer to pay extra to make up for wasting their time. I'm not very assertive.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! You know, I'm thinking that guy at Best Buy must have a daughter. He was very understanding!

Hi Diesel! I'm with you. I can't believe Sean went in there and asked for a new phone. He's the one who intentionally broke it! But I guess the Temporary Insanity Plea does get people off the hook.

Kiyotoe said...

i definitely know the feeling. if you're not careful the cell phone bill can bite you in the *beep*.

And yes, your husband is an honest man becau7se my first instinct would have been to say whatever I thought would make them give me a new phone, hassle and $$$ free!

I'm so ashamed......

CS said...

Wow, what an unexpected ending from the salesperson. We haven't had that yet, but I can see it happening. I encourage my son to IM his friends - no extra cost!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! I know, I think my instinct would be the same as yours - come up with a fabricated explanation that sounded more reasonable. But honesty actually worked - go figure ;)


Hi CSL! I think working off the charges will make her think twice about chatting away on the cell phone. I hope anyway... If we have to take it away from her, I'll be the one who's actually inconvenienced when I can't get a hold of her to tell her I'm picking her up (or whatever).

houseband00 said...

Hi Tammie,

I used to have a plan but I later opted for pre-paid cards. They're much easier to monitor.

Kudos to Sean for his brave honesty! =)

Frank Marcopolos said...

honesty is a great way to deceive people as well.

-frank

Travis Cody said...

I really feel for those who have to watch their minutes...especially with teens in the house.

I'm a lucky guy - it's just me and I don't use that many minutes, even though my cell phone is my only phone.

**ducks assorted thrown cell phones**

Michael C said...

Wow, that is a nice Best Buy employee!

I loathe cellphones and wish I didn't have one. Unfortunately, my job requires that mine is on me 24/7. I swear that once as I was talking about how I just wanted to throw my cell phone into the river, it rang and was a client. It just goes to show...

I just heard a great new Jimmy Buffett song about cellphones.

Scott from Oregon said...

Oh yeah, make her pay!

Ten bucks an hour, though?

You're being generous because she's family, right?

Cells phones should turn off when the minute mark has been reached, allowing the consumer the choice to start paying up the nose.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Houseband! Hmmm... that might be a good idea for her - prepaid cards. I'll have to keep that in mind!


Hi Brooklyn Frank! LOL too true, because sometimes when you respond with full honesty people don't believe you anyway.


Hi Travis! Like you, I hardly ever use the phone. But I know when I was a teenager I was on the phone all the time. I remember a call that lasted 6 hours - no kidding.


Hi Michael C! I'm with you, not a big fan of them. I only just broke down and got one about a year ago, a combination of business reasons, commuting so far, and wanting to keep track of my daughter.


Hi Scott! Yes, I know... 10 bucks an hour is very generous. I like your idea about them turning off once you hit your minute limit - too bad they would never do it. I'm sure they make most of their money from the parents of teenagers.