Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rambling in Barcelona

Sean and I enjoyed a trip-of-a-lifetime Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon. I've already blogged about some of the fun we had in Venice here. Today I've been thinking about Barcelona…

********
Because it was the final port of our two week trip, we feared we might be too exhausted to explore another city, but Barcelona turned out to be a surprising treat.

After checking in at the Hotel Barcelona we decided to head first to La Sagrada Familia, the Roman Catholic basilica worked on by Antonio Guadi. Although this work of art is still in development, it was magnificent to see.

Then we sauntered down Las Ramblas, Barcelona’s famous pedestrian walkway lined with restaurants, shops, street vendors and performers. I love people-watching, and Las Ramblas was a fabulous place for this diversion.

We had lunch in a Spanish fast food restaurant. What I really wanted was some real deal, bona fide Spanish fare.

“I want to eat in a place where I have no idea what the menu says.”

Well, we were in the middle of a tourist trap, so although we did find some Spanish food, the prices were high. And the menu included big photos of the food next to the names. No matter… I was most interested in people watching from the windows upstairs while we ate and sipped sangria.

We found a table on the second floor that overlooked the river of people and colorful markets on the street below.

Then we decided to explore the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter), the older section of the city.

After weaving our way through narrow passages and graffiti covered alleyways, we came upon an archway over the street which was illuminated perfectly by the moody light.

It was then, reaching for my camera, that I realized my bag was not on my shoulder. I’d left it in the restaurant. Besides my precious camera, the bag contained all of my identification, the very same identification that I would need to board the plane in the morning and return to New York.

We ran. We ran up the winding alleys and passageways and through crowds of weekend shoppers. We were gasping for breath but we didn’t stop.

Since Las Ramblas is a haven for pickpockets, I didn’t hold much hope for finding my little brown backpack. The thought of being stuck in Barcelona made my chest tighten up and my head feel dizzy – I hadn’t seen my daughter in two weeks! But I kept running. So did Sean.

We could see the restaurant up ahead. Sean was bee-lining for it; I was scanning the crowd on the street as we neared our lunchtime eatery. If anyone was holding my bag…

We dashed up the stairs to the second floor of the restaurant. There next to the windows was a woman, an employee of the restaurant, holding up my bag for me and smiling.

“Gracias! Thank you so much! Muchas gracias!”

********


For dinner, we had reserved a spot at Tablao Flamenco Cordobés for a dinner buffet and flamenco show.


The dinner was an enormous buffet of Mediterranean specialities, and I was intent on sampling each one. The quality far surpassed what one usually expects from a buffet-style dinner. Everything was delicious! And the attentive wait staff ensured that the wine and champagne glasses never emptied.

After dinner we were lead into an adjoining room full of ladderback chairs snugly surrounding a small stage.


The tiny theater was engulfed in the din of many languages until we heard that first sensual strum of the guitar.


From that moment on, we were mesmerized.

Each dancer had their solo time on stage as the others sang and clapped.


They stamped; they frowned; they made intense eye contact with the crowd.


Their gestures were bold and passionate, their steps intricate and concise.

We were close enough to the stage to see the sweat beading up on their brows as they exuberantly performed their numbers.




The energy was intoxicating.


Each dance intensified with colorful spins and stomps and strums from the guitar until building up the final swing of the arm, stamp of the foot, and shouts from the crowd of “Ole!”

What an experience! We would love to return someday.

16 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

That reminds me of the time I left my purse in a pizzareia on south street in Philly. Luckily the place was empty and I remembered it before we'd even left the block.

Travis Cody said...

So lucky! But I guess the restaurant owners and wait staff in the tourist areas are used to that kind of thing.

Your description of the flamenco show was so good. I felt like I was there watching.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silverneurotic! So I'm not the only one who does these absent-minded things? Unfortunately, I've forgotten my purse several times. The time I left it at Pizza Hut I got it back, but the time I left it at the movies it was long gone. It was way scarier, though, to almost loose it in a foreign country. Which would be worse, no ID or no camera???

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Travis! Yes, I was extremely lucky. I thought I was going to need documents over-nighted or something...
The flamenco show was so amazing! I wish I could capture it the way I saw it. I may have to expand on that little passage sometime... but thank you for the words of encouragement!

robkroese said...

Hey, I want to go somewhere. Stupid house I have to build instead of going somewhere.

CS said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. Guess I'll have to add it to the places I'd like to go.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Diesel! I know what you mean - we're working on some home improvements right now and wondering if we'll be able to go anywhere this year. But even a weekend away is better than nothing. Of course, building a house is pretty exciting too :)


Hi CSL! It was definitely a great trip. You know something was worth it when you're still paying for it 2 years later, but still talking about it and smiling about it too.

Erica Ann Putis said...

Man - that makes me want to go there or anywhere that's not work... Hopefully someday I will have enough money to travel... :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! Actually, I started traveling waaaay before I had the money, starting when Mandy was 4 and I was, of course, still single and financially struggling. A friend invited me to his wedding in NM. Yeah, right. Like I could afford that. But I saved for 8 months for the airfare, put the hotel on the credit card, food on the credit card... That was the start of a lot of traveling for the 2 of us(mostly roadtrips, but you still have to pay for gas & food). I probably paid for that NM trip for the next year and 1/2, but I'll never regret those memories we made.

Kiyotoe said...

great descriptions Tammie Jean. Almost felt like I was there with you. Did you see me? I was the devilishly handsome black dude surrounded by all the beautiful women.

See what an active imagination will do to you?

The handsome part was not my imagination though. :)

Thanks.

Frank Marcopolos said...

i think i feel a road trip coming on.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! Of course I noticed you - how could I not when you're so devilishly handsome? ;)


Hi Brooklyn Frank! Oh, me too... spring fever + wanderlust = road trip! I'll just have to figure out where to go...

Lizza said...

Oh, good heavens. You've been to places I want to go to. Terrific post, Tammie Jean! It's good to know good samaritans were there for you.

And Spanish guitar...yummmm.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! Yes, Barcelona was fantastic! But our trip would have ended a lot differently if it weren't for the good samaritan...

Unknown said...

Nice article. I know that the foundation of Barcelona is the subject of two different legends. The first attributes the founding of the city to Hercules 400 years before the building of Rome, and that it was rebuilt by the Carthaginian Hamilcar Barca, father of Hannibal, who named the city Barcino after his family, in the 3rd century BC. The second legend attributes the foundation directly to Hamilcar Barca.
Also I liked that there are many parks and beautiful beaches. A great number of these buildings are World Heritage Sites. Especially remarkable is the work of architect Antoni GaudĂ­, which can be seen throughout the city. Many buildings, churches and hotels in Barcelonahave an original and amazing design and architecture.
Barcelona has a Mediterranean climate, with mild, humid winters and warm, dry summers.
I really like this amazing and magic city.

Unknown said...

Nice blog. I always dreamed to visit this amazing and magic city with original architecture. It's no wonder why Barcelona city is so popular. Fabulous architecture, brilliant Spanish cuisine, flamboyant culture and wonderful weather combine to make Barcelona a truly magnificent city.