Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Night in Venice, Part 1

I am waiting in line behind a gaggle of happy couples. Happy couples holding hands, kissing, waiting in unmasked anticipation to embark on an adventure that will surely become a treasured memory. One that will be filed under the category of Most Romantic Night Ever.

I am waiting in line with all of the happy couples, and I am alone.

****

My husband and I are in Venice. What a place to begin our honeymoon! Venice is just oozing with romance. It pulsates romance from every street lamp, from every narrow passageway and footbridge, from the glistening moonlit canals to the sparkling puddles in St. Mark’s Square. We are giddy with excitement as we make our way from the water taxi, through the square, and over to the gondola station.

We are about halfway to the front of the line, where couples are being assisted into the gondolas two by two. They are being covered with thick blankets, as it’s a bit chilly this evening, and they are offered a bottle of champagne to share.

We are holding hands as we inch our way closer to Honeymoon Adventure #2. Adventure #1 has already taken place back in the cabin on the cruise ship ;).

Because my husband has the bladder of a small child, he needs to find the facilities. As soon as we’re done? No, pretty much now. Immediately. Even though we are on line waiting for our gondola ride? Yeah, sorry.

The translator suggests he try one of the restaurants or hotels nearby. Sean dashes off down a passageway and across a bridge.

The line seems to be moving pretty quickly. I am almost to the front of the line, so I let a few couples go ahead of me. And then a few more.

Eventually, I just step out of the line and wait.

*****

Sean is running along the canal, looking for a place to relieve himself. There are shops here and there, but none offering a restroom. Many are already closed for the evening.

Finally, he finds the entryway to the Hotel Cavalletto. He dashes inside.

“Bathroom? Restroom? Water Closet? Loo?”

He is directed to the back of the building with a dismissive gesture and rolling eyes.

When he sees the sign on the door, he is so relieved! Well, almost relieved. He is already unbuttoning his pants. They have fallen to his thighs by the time he bursts through the door.

There are many astonished eyes looking at him in awe. Venetian eyes. Eyes that are not accustomed to seeing such a sight so abruptly thrust upon them.

The room falls silent.

Faces turn red.

Time stands still.

Sean is generally commando. And apparently, Cucina does not mean bathroom.

*****

The line is getting shorter and shorter. Only 6 couples left. Where is my husband?

Finally I see him, dashing back across the bridge and down the passageway towards me. As we rejoin the line, I realize that there is an even number of couples ahead of us. As they file into the gondolas, two by two, it looks as if we’ll get a gondola all to ourselves!

And do you know what that means? Well, besides the obvious increase in our gondola ride romance factor.

That means we have a bottle of champagne all to ourselves.


Tomorrow… part two.

17 comments:

Lizza said...

You are in Venice? Wowwww! That is so wonderful. Gondolas, the Bridge of Sighs, the by-the-canal palazzos...sigh. I'm guessing you guys rocked the gondola. *grin*

And, good Lord. That cucina part made me just laugh out loud. Maybe Sean treated the Venetians to something they weren't prepared to see. :-)

Looking forward to the next post. Venice! Damn, I'd hate you if I didn't like you already. :-)

Lizza said...

Okay, I just realized that maybe you were reliving your honeymoon in this post and that you aren't really in Italy now.

Looking forward to the next post nonetheless!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! Yes, I have a habit of writing in the present tense, even when discussing the events of years ago or even childhood. I wish I was in Venice right now! I'd love to go back someday...

Homie Bear said...

So, what is a cucina?

Tammie Jean said...

Sorry Homie Bear!

I should have mentioned that CUCINA means KITCHEN :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Scott from Oregon said...

Hi Tammy! You left a trail, so I followed.

Nothing worse than romance coupled with a small bladded and a lack of linguistical acumen.

Imagine, bursting into a kitchen with your pants down amidst all those knives?!

Scott from Oregon said...

tammie... I should have said. Hi Tammie!

Where's my lunch?

mist1 said...

I didn't know couples are counted in gaggles. Geese, yes. How many couples in a gaggle? How many people in a gaggle of couples? I need to rest now.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! LOL yes, I guess Sean is lucky no one was offended enough to employ the use of any kitchen implements.

Thanks for stopping by!
(btw I have been very entertained by your recent posts!)

Tammie Jean said...

Mist1 - LOL! See, here's the thing: when alcohol is involved (and therefore continual outbursts of clucking and honking) any mass of people is understood to be a gaggle. Exact numbers cannot be given since everything is a bit blurry ;)

Nikki Neurotic said...

Aww, those poor people...what a sight to see. Hopefully the rest of the honeymoon was nice. :-)

houseband00 said...

It's all about the memories. =)

We had a similar experience in Paris, Tammie.

We secretly referred to certain arrogant folk as "sortie"s.

=)

Tammie Jean said...

Silverneurotic - The honeymoon was the most amazing thing. It was almost 2 1/2 years ago. We may still be paying for it, but we're still talking about it too.


Houseband - Exactly! It's all about making memories. Hee hee... sorties. I like that!

Jeff Roberts said...

LOL. I may be fired. :-)

Based on the number of Italians who thought our 9-passenger tourist van was a perfect place behind which to relieve themselves, you probably fit right in.

Venice was my favorite part of our Italy trip about this time last year. Pisa came in a close second, mainly because parking was easy and everything was walkable - there were 7 of us and 4 were not into walking AT ALL. So Venice was also great because we could park the "bus" and take water taxis and gondolas everywhere.

Once we were looking around for a bathroom and there was a funny little door that said "Spingere". I checked the italian dictionary, hoping it meant "lavatory", "men" or "women" (or heck, Thieves or Damsels in a pinch) and found that "spingere" simply means "push" :-)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! I like your story about "Push" - that's great! Venice was our favorite part too, with Florence a close second. We would love to go back someday :)

Jeff Roberts said...

Florence for us was a blur. My wife would get fed up with the folks who didn't want to walk, kick them out of the van and drive around for a couple of hours.

So most of us spent an hour or two on the Ponte Veccio (where I had my own try-to-find-a-bathroom experience) and she and my nephew got lost on one-way roads with mopeds whizzing around them. She is SO up for another trip but just the two of us this time.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! Yes, traveling with family and friends can be fun, but also difficult. Sometimes it's nice (and easier) to go exploring just the two of you, and there's less people to try and please that way too.