Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Baked Ziti Night

One of my favorite things when I was young was Baked Ziti Night at my grandparent's house. All of my aunts and uncles would be there, and the few cousins from that side of the family.

My grandmother would make this huge pan of baked ziti.

When it was done we would all be gathered around my grandmother, waiting with our pristine white pasta dishes for that luscious scoop of pasta and cheese and sauce. Gram would give us each a big cheesy spoonful and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

I’d always looked forward to those gatherings... the congregation of our extended family, reconnecting with each other, sharing stories and laughter and baked ziti. And on those nights when absolutely everyone showed up, and I had to sit at the "kids table," I didn't even mind. It was that good.

Those family get-togethers didn't happen as much in my teenage years. Even less after I went off to college.

Eventually my grandmother started to loose her grip on things mentally, and making those big dinners became too much for her. A few of us would gather for Pizza Night on Wednesdays, but it wasn’t the same as having the whole gang together.

After my grandmother passed away, we made it Chinese Food Night because my grandfather was tired of pizza. Sometimes I would cook something up for us homemade, especially when it was just my grandfather, my daughter and me, but of course it could never rival the baked ziti with the sauce of tomatoes from Gram’s garden.

After my grandfather passed away, my aunts and uncles had to clean out the old house on 4th Street. There was a huge dumpster out in the front yard, and my aunt E was pitching everything in there she could get her hands on.

I don't think anything really has any sentimental value to her. She likes nice new things. Old things are garbage.

So there I was, salvaging some of the things that reminded me of my grandparents. There was the Bunny Cup, a little purple plastic cup with a bunny on it. As kids, after riding our bikes up and down the dead-end street, or playing catch in the back yard, we would race to the cabinet to get the Bunny Cup. It was an honor of distinction to be the one sipping your cream soda from it.

There were a few boxes of papers that I decided to keep too. Since my grandfather was blind, these boxes made no sense. There would be store receipts from 1986 mixed in with oil bills from 1972, mixed in with newspapers clippings of Elvis and the moon landing, mixed in with recipes my grandmother used. One box even contained my grandfather's army yearbook and old newspapers from when he was stationed in North Africa in 1945. My aunt would have surely thrown these away. I took them home and sorted through everything.

You know what else I saved from the dumpster? The baked ziti dishes. There were only 3 left, with a few chips along the rims, and a few cracks in the glaze. And since three doesn't make a complete set, oh yeah, my aunt was throwing them out. But I saved them, along with all those fond memories of when we were all together.

And besides, there's one dish for each of us: my husband and my daughter and me. So really, three does make a complete set.

9 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

I don't have too many things from my grandmother who passed away a few months ago, but I really do cherish the small things I do have. She always preferred to just give money the last few years, but she had a special knack at getting the best cards. I always got a bit laugh out of her cards.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silverneurotic! So sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm sure you have lots of special memories of her. Funny how those little things, like birthday cards, take on a deeper meaning once someone has left us.

katie eggeman said...

My grandmother passed away 25 years ago and I remember cleaning out her house. The first thing I went looking for was an old tin measuring cup Grandpa kept in his garden house to have a drink. We had need of a dresser so we took one of hers and I was so amused to find movie magazine pictures of Clark Gable and Errol Flynn tucked hidden under her drawer lining. I guess what Grandpa didn't know didn't hurt him. It still tickles me to think of her as a matinee Idol fan.

Travis Cody said...

Thanks for stopping by my place and for your wonderful comment.

I'll cruise back by when I have a little more time to linger.

lettuce said...

i've just seen your comment on Wendz's blog - could you tell me, please, where the Dickens quote comes from?

I like your writing. Esp. the big about verbal dyslexia - I get that sometimes!

Lizza said...

Yum, baked ziti. Sometimes certain aromas or sights (such as chipped dishes) can bring back the magic of childhood.

I enjoyed this post a lot.

Tammie Jean said...

Bankerchick - How cool to discover a different side of your grandmother - that is so adorable! I understand completely about the tin cup... my Pop drank his tea from a little bowl because a tea cup was too small, and that was one of the things I wanted to keep.


Travis - Thanks for stopping by to say hello :)

Tammie Jean said...

Lettuce - Hi there! That Dickens quote is from A Tale Of Two Cities, one of my favorite books. It's the first line of Chapter 3:

Wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, if some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Lizza! Yes, so true that certain aromas can evoke memories of their own.
Thanks for stopping in again! :)