Wednesday, February 7, 2007

We Should Have Been Friends

When I was 5 years old, I found a friend to play with while my father was playing a softball game. We were the same age, and we were both wearing dresses and barrettes in our hair.

We were happy to have found each other, because a softball game lasts a really long time. We played on the swings, in the sandbox, and on the seesaw, giggling all day.

Later, when the players were taking a break, I went to see my dad, and she went to see her dad, who was on the opposing team.

Dad and I shared a turkey wedge with lettuce, tomato and mayo, my favorite. He had an RC Cola, and I had a Yoo-hoo. And of course, I had Twinkies for dessert. Always Twinkies.

Someone on our team came over and said teasingly, “I saw you! I saw you playing with that little black girl!”

“So?”

But he continued, “Yeah, I saw you playing with the little porch monkey.”

I didn’t know what that meant, but it didn’t sound nice. And I think even someone else joined in too. And my dad just raised his eyebrows and nodded his head a little, not completely playing along with them, but not standing up for me either.

And I started to feel embarrassed, like I’d done something wrong.

When my dad’s team went back to the dugout, and her dad’s team went out on the field, she came over to the bench where I was sitting and sat down right next to me, ready to resume our games. I felt like I shouldn’t be seen with her, like they were all going to talk about me and laugh at me.

They might even point their fingers and say “I see you!”

So I moved away from her to the other side of the bench.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I just don’t feel like playing anymore.”

But that was two lies in one. I did feel like playing some more. And something was very wrong.

It's a good thing we're not all destined to repeat the mistakes of our fathers.

So to the little girl on the bench at the park, with the pretty little barrettes in her hair, I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry. I’ve remembered you my whole life, but I hope you don’t remember me.

9 comments:

Steven said...

I can certanily relate to that one...

Well written.

Steve~

Tammie Jean said...

Thanks, Steve.

It’s one of those things I’m not proud of and would love to forget. But I think I do the situation more justice by talking about it and showing prejudice for the ugly thing that it is.

Julie said...

You were 5. At age 5, you just don't know any better. I'm sure your memories are somewhat enhanced with the knowledge you learned along the way. At the time, you were just 5. But it was so well written and honest.

Kiyotoe said...

wow, thanks for sharing that story tammie jean. I remember when i first started blogging, i went to extremes to reveal that i was a black man only because i wanted the readers to feel free to say whatever they wanted on my page and that way I'd get honest reactions.

To my surprise many of my "regulars" had it all figured it out way before I let the cat out the bag, and it's helped me to realize that there are some people who will be honest and share stories that embarrass them as well as you, regardless of your race, sex, sexual preference etc.

And I guess that kind of "connection" is what this blog thing is all about.

Like jules said, you were 5 so hopefully it hasn't "haunted" you that much. Just as long as you can be secure in the fact that if you ran into that little girl today, she would be proud to call you her "friend".

You just made the VIP list ;)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jules! Yes I know, I was only five, but I've always been the person who is nice to everyone and who cares about other people's feelings. It's always bothered me that I may have hurt her feelings, and it's bothered me too that our little incident may not have been the only time she's had to deal with this particular brand of ugliness.


Hi Kiyotoe! The whole blogging community is still new to me, but I can easily see how people can make connections with each other. I appreciate the honest exchange of thoughts, ideas, feelings, memories... the compassion towards others, and the way some posts spark ideas and others promote introspection.

Yes, I will say that today my closest friends are a diverse crowd, and I do believe that I am good friend :)

Thanks!

JHS, Esq. said...

Congratulations! This post has been selected as our “Post of the Day” on “The Rising Blogger”. It is a brand new site that awards posts, not blogs. Please send us your email address so that we may send you the winning badge, and all our info. To reach “The Rising Blogger” site:

http://therisingblogger.blogspot.com

Have a great week!
Judd

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Hi... I found you through rising Blogger. I was given the honor today. I had not known of this blog before, so I went to check it out.
I saw your nomination and wanted to read this riveting story.

You say you would love to forget it...Tammie Jean... NEVER FORGET IT. Use it as one of those pieces of knowledge that allow us to make the world a better place as we journey through it.

I am going to come back here again... I enjoy your honest, heartfelt recollections...

Akelamalu said...

I found you through Rising Blogger. Your story touched my heart. I'm sure that little girl would understand if she read what you had written. You deserve the award for your post.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bond! Yes, you're right. It shouldn't be forgotten. This sort of thing is, unfortunately, part of our history, but hopefully it won't be part of our future.
Thanks for your visit!
I'm looking forward to reading your nominated post...


Hi Akelamalu! And thank you - I'd like to think that today she might understand. But I've always hoped that it didn't leave a mark in her memory the way it did in mine.
Thank you for your visit :)