Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Samson Syndrome

When Mandy was young, she slept with her long blonde hair up in a bun so it didn’t get in her face. (She still does this actually, and so do I). In the morning after breakfast, I would bring her over to the closet with the mirrored doors, and we would sit on the floor together while I brushed her hair. She would admire herself in the mirror for as long as the project might take, and we would chat.

Why didn’t my mother ever do this for me???

When I was growing up, my mother had long brown hair that reached all the way down her back. It was long and straight and shiny. So was mine. Except mine wasn’t so straight or shiny, because it was usually all knotted up.

(This photo is from the 3rd grade. I think my mother brushed my hair for this, because it looks like my barrettes are evenly placed.)

Probably once a week my mother would sit me down and start tearing into what she affectionately called The Rat’s Nest. This was a ball of knotted hair at the back of my head. It didn’t take long to develop. Heck, one night of tossing and turning in my bed and my hair was wrecked. I never knew about sleeping with my hair in a bun.

She used to threaten that if I didn’t take care of my hair, she would cut it all off.

The problem was, I knew nothing about the finer points of hair care. Sure, I brushed it. But I only brushed what I saw. I didn’t see the back. Or the “underneath”. I slid the brush down the visible surface of my hair. In the front. That was it.

I would cry when my mother started tearing into my hair with a comb at the end of the week.

Sometimes I would try to conceal The Rat’s Nest. When I realized it was there, I would carefully brush and smooth the surface hair over it. She always seemed to notice, though. Perhaps because there was a huge smoothed-over lump on the back of my head. Kind of like an elephant hiding under a throw rug.

Sometimes my mother would bring me to my grandmother’s house on the weekends, and my Aunt E would brush The Rat's Nest out for me. She brushed carefully. It never hurt when she did it.

When I was in 4th grade, my mother decided she’d seen enough of The Rat’s Nest. She took me to the salon, and my hair was cut short. It wasn’t too bad, though. I didn’t mind it. And my mother went on and on about how easy it was to take care of.

“Just wash it and go,” she would say.

My hair was getting pretty long again by the end of 5th grade. I was a cute kid. I had a few admirers. I thought maybe I might be one of the prettiest girls in my class. Boys snuck notes into my desk. A boy named Jamie wrote “I (heart) Tammie” on the fogged window of the school bus. Then David, not to be outdone, wrote David + Tammie = (heart). I blushed and looked out the window.

Then sixth grade came. In our school district, all three elementary schools converge into one middle school, and 6th grade is the first year you go there. This was a huge big deal. We would meet a whole bunch of kids we didn’t know. There were new boys to have crushes on, and new girls to give dirty looks to.

We were to be thrown into the social gauntlet.

Mom took me to get my hair cut again at the beginning of the school year. “I don’t want it cut short,” I said.

“You need something easy to take care of,” she said. “Besides, I’m the one paying for this, not you.”

That’s when I got The Boy Haircut. This is how I started the 6th grade.

No need to worry about admirers any longer. Or popularity. Or anyone wanting to be my friend.

Bad enough the acne was starting.

Bad enough I wore the same hand-me-downs year after year until my ankles were peeking out of my jeans and my socks were showing and everyone asked "Where's the flood?"

Bad enough everyone was wearing white Nike high-top sneakers with the laces undone so you could make the proper scuffing sound as you strutted down the middle school hallways with that perfect scowl that says “I’m cool and you wish you were”, and I was rockin’ those grayish-blue no-name sneakers with suede insets straight off the Caldor’s clearance rack.

But The Boy Haircut too?

“This is perfect!” my mother beamed. “Just wash it and go!”
Great. My life is over.

We attended a boring family gathering soon after I got The Boy Haircut, and one of the older relatives I didn’t know thought I was my older brother. “I haven’t seen Keith in so long!” she said. I glared at my mother.

I never got my hair cut that short ever again. In fact, I started paying for my own haircuts with my babysitting money by the 7th grade. By then, my hair was growing out and I feathered it back or curled it into those banana curls that framed your face like Farrah Fawcett.

But it didn’t matter. First impressions are everything, and I started my first year of middle school looking like short-haired, zit-faced, ankle-showing dorky mess.

It would be a very long time before I had to worry about a boy noticing me again.

14 comments:

Erica Ann Putis said...

I was exactly the same way except that I had coke bottle glasses too. I also went to the smallest school ever so everyone knew me as the dorky deacons daughter. No boys were in my future for many years... so sad... Haha... :) You were a very cute kid though.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! LOL I wore glasses too! Wow, I forgot about that. In 6th grade I couldn't read the board so I had to get glasses.

I did start out cute, though, didn't I? Too bad I turned into a complete mess. My awkward phase was a deep, deep pit that took me many years to climb out of.

Lizza said...

You know, I think you actually looked good. I like your smile, and the hair too. Of course, this is adult "us" speaking--children as peers can be so cruel.

Thanks for sharing this part of your childhood with us. Me likey.

Tammie Jean said...

Well thank you Lizza, but considering that the most popular girl in the sixth grade wore makeup and had a huge chest that bounced when she walked in her tight designer jeans and high heels... well, I was pretty forgettable.

And as Erica reminded me, I wore big glasses too! Ugh!

But anyway, I can look back and laugh :) Hee hee!

Nikki Neurotic said...

I should find some old pictures of myself...they would totally scare the crap outta anybody! Personally I think that haircut is really cute.

Jeff Roberts said...

Bounced over from Trav's. My hair got stupid-long in 5th grade. More bushy than long, really but similar to your second pic.

One day I went to a birthday party where I wiped out on someone else's bicycle on a gravel road and broke half a tooth off.

At the dentist they took X-rays. The tech put the film in my mouth and said "Bite down on this." I did, she said "Good girl" and I got a serious haircut on the way home. :-)

Tammie Jean said...

Silverneurotic - Sure, side with mom why don't you?! But seriously, this marked the beginning of my awkward phase. The very beginning. It hit hard-core in the 7th grade. I'll have to dig out a photo that truly shows the level of awkwardness I attained.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! Aw, you must have been a really cute kid to be mistaken for a girl! I can see how that probably wouldn't have been taken as a compliment though. Anyway, thanks for visiting!

PS - Are we able to view your old blogs? I'm kind of a newbie so I'm not sure how that all works...

houseband00 said...

I guess us boys got conscious about our hair a bit later than the girls. Though when we did get to it, speaking for guys my age, that is, it was right smack in the godawful 80s. Talk about hair-dos

I think you know what I mean.

If you don't: think tempera paint.

=)

Julie said...

ok, I just wrote a looooong comment, and it didn't go thru. ughhh. I have almost always had long hair, but I was really short. and had a birthmark on my neck that everyone thought was a hickey. niiiiiice

Cappy said...

Hubba Hubba

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Houseband - LOL I'll have to keep that in mind for my next embarrassing post - 80's hair! My hair reached amazing heights back in the day :)

Jules - So the question is, did you promote the hickey angle to increase your street cred, or did you explain that it was a birthmark? I know a few of the girls I went to school with would have claimed hickey. I would have been too shy for either and probably would have worn turtlenecks, even though I hate them. So much drama in school...

Cappy - LOL! Did you have a thing for geeky girls? Thanks for stopping by :)

Jeff Roberts said...

Hello, you left a comment on my new blogger blog, 'cause apparently that's where my comments have been linking to lately.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that and didn't have any sort of email notification set up over there!

I finally posted a link to the new blog from there - it's http://jjetsam.wordpress.com

Thanks for stopping by!
-Jeff

Tammie Jean said...

Thanks Jeff! I'll have to come over and pay you a vist :)