Friday, February 9, 2007

Valentine Tribulations of the Third Grade

They are all
staying away
from Joey’s chair.

In art class we all made pouches from paper plates, and we decorated them with construction paper hearts, little white paper doilies, and lots of paste. We hung the pouches from our chairs with red ribbon, awaiting all the little mini cards and lollipops and conversation hearts that would come from our classmates on Valentine’s Day.

The third graders are running around the room, depositing their Valentines in the little pouches and goofing around.

Joey has already finished handing his out. He’s back at his desk, sitting in his seat, waiting. A pouch hangs from the back of his chair too. But his pouch is empty.

The rule, of course, is that if we choose to bring in Valentines, we must bring one in for each child in the class.

Joey is sitting there, looking hopefully around the room, hoping that someone, anyone, will drop a Valentine in his pouch.

But they are all staying away from Joey’s chair.

They are all kind of watching, too, out of the corners of their eyes, to see if anyone will give Joey a Valentine.

I’m sure a few of the kids have brought in cards for him. I’m sure that a few of them, especially those girls who always do exactly as the teacher requests (I am one of those girls), I’m sure at least they have a little mini envelope with JOEY written on it.

Maybe they're not giving him the best card in the set. Probably not the one that says Be My Valentine, or the one that says You’re the Coolest Valentine! Certainly not the one that says I’m Sweet On You. But maybe the one that says Have A Great Day or something like that.

But it seems like now, with all the cruel, condemning third-grade eyes on them, all those obedient girls - they have all chickened out.

And forget about the boys. They’re not giving him cards either.

I’ve handed out most of mine. Only a few left in my hands as I walk slowly by the last few seats.

CHRISTINE… ALEX… DANIEL…

I’m almost to Joey’s desk.

I never tease Joey. My big brother is fat. I’m constantly sticking up for him out on the playground. He gets into a lot of fights in elementary school because the kids tease him all the time.

So I’m not a teaser. I love my brother. And I feel bad for Joey.

But kids never want to be on the receiving end of taunting. That’s why they’re so mean to each other, I think. Because if they were to stick their necks out and defend someone, then they might end up being teased themselves. Even if they sit there quietly, minding their own business, they might end up being teased.

So they usually strike first. Let everyone know that they’re on the “cool” kid side, not the “loser” kid side.

I don’t join in on teasing. I’m a quiet kid. I mostly just mind my own business.

Of course, it helps that I’m not a fat kid, or an ugly kid, or a kid that has trouble with schoolwork, a kid with a big birth mark on her face, or a kid with dirty clothes. I don’t have any obvious abnormality that will set me apart from the persecuting masses. So I mostly fade into the background. I’m shy, so I like it there.

So here’s the thing: do I call attention to myself today, by placing a card in Joey’s Valentine pouch?

Just think of what they will say. “Ewwww! Tammie likes Joey!”

Tammie and Joey sittin’ in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
First comes love! Then comes marriage! Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!

I take the card that says JOEY and go back to my desk.

Some kids are starting to empty their booty onto their desks and eat the candy. Joey has nothing. He is sitting there expressionless.

I think of my brother, over in his 5th grade classroom. I wonder if he’s gotten any Valentines today. He probably has. Even though he’s fat, he’s outgoing and he does have friends.

But Joey looks so vulnerable sitting there, with no friends to defend him.

I’m back on my feet.

No, I’m not planning to make some big show of it. I’m not going to march over there with righteous strides and condemn the rest of the class for ignoring our classmate.

I’m trying to figure out how to do this as quietly as possible.

I’ve got a handful of candy from my pouch and Joey’s card. I’m not sure what my plan is exactly.

But then I see Steve (the loud, red-haired class clown) steal someone’s lollipop and start running. All the girls are chasing him. The boys are in on it, and a big monkey-in-the-middle thing has started.

I seize the opportunity and drop my card in Joey’s pouch, along with a handful of candy, while everyone is distracted. I don’t say anything to him. I just drop and run.

I’m back at my desk before anyone notices.

I nonchalantly watch the classroom shenanigans for a moment or two, and then I look back over toward Joey.

He has candy on his desk, and he is smiling at me.

I smile back.

6 comments:

Steven said...

I completely and totally enjoyed this post.

Fantastic.

Steve~

Tammie Jean said...

Thanks Steve! School is such a gauntlet of ridicule and peer pressure... it's a wonder we make it through. Thanks for dropping by :)

Tammie

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

You are a wonderful writer - I just want to keep reading more posts :) so I'm linking :) and will be back!

katie eggeman said...

Tammie Jean, your story reminded me of all Joeys and Franks and Helens I remember from my elementary days. Some years even I was that person. Great Post, I also like the more recent story about your grandfather.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Heather!

I've enjoyed reading through some of your recent posts as well... I've linked back to you too :)

Tammie

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Bankerchick!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed the posts :) Your recent post about naming cars is something I can definitely relate too - we do that too!

I'm adding a link if you don't mind...

Tammie