Monday, April 2, 2007

Memories of Bowling Night

My parents were both into bowling. But my father was much more serious about it, so serious that he wanted to be in an all-male bowling league. Why? Because men are better bowlers, he said.

So this was not a fun little pastime that they enjoyed together. My father joined his serious Wednesday night all-male league, and then, not to be outdone, my mother joined her all-female Wednesday night league at a different bowling alley.

And so Bowling Night was born.

My big brother Duane and I enjoyed Bowling Night. Sometimes Duane would go with my father and I would go with my mother, but that turned out to be way too boring, because it could take 3 hours or more for them to play all of the games. So most of the time my brother and I would stay together, going with my mother one week and my father the next.

While we were there, we were the helpers. If Mom or Dad needed a soda, we would go get it for them so they didn’t miss their turns. At the end of the night, I used to fetch my father’s bowling ball from the lane, shine it up, and put it in his bag for him while he tallied up the scores and changed his shoes. I remember one year, when his team couldn’t think of a name, they ended up calling themselves The Tams, named after me.

All the bowlers in both leagues used to love us. We were well-behaved kids. This guy Al in my father’s league was my buddy. He used to talk to me all the time and tell me stories and jokes. And there was this little trick he would play on me: when I was about to sit down, he would pull my chair back and I would fall on the floor. Everyone got a chuckle out of it, even me.

One night I decided to offer Al a chair while he was watching the other bowlers and waiting for his turn. I pulled over one of the nice big padded winged-back chairs.

“Sit here, Al!”

Somehow, when that large, balding, grey-haired man hit the floor with a tremendous thud, and his drink splashed up and all the ice cubes went all over the loudly-patterned carpet, somehow it just didn’t seem to be the cute little joke I thought it would be. Al seemed to come down a lot harder than me, the scrawny little 7 year old that I was. I hid in the ladies room where no one could get me. It took Al quite a while to coax me out of there from the doorway.

Duane and I usually got hot dogs or burgers with fries for dinner, we would sit up on the swivel stools, just like eating at the diner or up at the counter at Woolworth’s. Some nights we even got ice cream sundaes, or banana splits. Those were my favorite things to get because they always came with real whipped cream and a cherry on top. Yum!

The other great thing about Bowling Night was that it was also Allowance Night. Every week, as long as we kept our rooms cleaned, we would get $5 to spend however we wanted. We could play video games, buy candy, play air hockey… with five dollars we were nearly rich. Of course, our rooms had to pass Inspection before we went out. If we didn’t pass Inspection, we didn’t get the five bucks.

And if all that wasn’t cool enough, Bowling Night was on a school night. So we were up late on school nights, running around and playing games. It was our night out, too.

One night while at Dad’s bowling alley, we discovered that right next door was a slot car raceway. To my brother, this was absolutely the most awesome thing ever. You could rent a car and a controller for a half hour and race your car around the track.

It was just like the AFX race sets Duane used to get for Christmas, only bigger. And way cooler. The corners were banked just right so your car didn’t go flying off the track. This was very different from AFX, which came with these yellow flexible plastic guardrails that went around the corners to keep your car from careening off the plastic roadway. But of course they didn’t work as intended, and our cats would attack the cars and start swatting them around the living room with their paws while Duane chased them, yelling that they’d better not wreck his best car.

Yes, my brother was in heaven down in that slot car raceway. Pre-pubescent boy heaven.

I was too intimidated by all the older guys around there to actually race a car myself, but I liked watching Duane race. Occasionally, if his car did jump the track, I was there to put it right back on so he didn’t waste one precious minute of his racing time. After all, he was spending his entire five bucks on this.

So what did I spend my five bucks on? Up at the counter at the raceway, they sold great big prismatic stickers for $2.00 each plus tax. I thought they were the coolest things I’d ever seen, much cooler than any stickers that the other kids put on their brown-paper-bag-covered books. Yes, I blew my money on stickers. I remember buying these cat stickers in every available color, and I specifically recall this green square prismatic sticker which simply bore the words “Macho Man.” Ah yes, it was the 70’s. And my book covers were the coolest at school.

Around here, many of the bowling alleys have closed down. The one where my mother used to bowl is now a supermarket, and the one where my father used to bowl has become a huge arcade. I don’t even think that either of my parents bowls anymore. There are still bowling alleys around, of course, but there seems to be less of them. Is it less popular now, or are there just more recreational choices?

Funny thing is, that slot car raceway is still there. That place has die-hard fans.


“We all have our 'good old days' tucked away inside our hearts, and we return to them in daydreams like cats to favorite armchairs.” - Brian Carter

16 comments:

Kiyotoe said...

great memories. Bowling is a favorite around this house too although i didn't do much of it as a kid.

Ahhh, allowance night. I remember that too. But for me, it was Friday night. From grade 6 through 10 i would get $20 every Friday night for completing all of my chores during the week.

Damn, if i had known then that that'd be the easiest money i would ever make, i might have appreciated it a little more.

Erica Ann Putis said...

Wow - I never got an allowance. I just had to do my chores or else... haha... I made money by sealing envelops for my dad's business. 5 cents an envelope... Man - I was cheap labor!!

houseband00 said...

I could never bowl well, Tammie. It's the whole coordination thing that makes it difficult, or is it because I bowl like Fred Flintstone - twinkle toes and all.

Anyway, ypu've been tagged, Tammie! =)

Travis Cody said...

I remember when my mom joined a bowling league - hers was co-ed. My sister and I had lots of fun too.

You're right - it was kind of like our night out too.

Lizza said...

Wow, it's great to learn about some more of your childhood. You and Duane kind of remind me of me and my younger brother; he and I were partners in crime when we were kids. :-D But we didn't do bowling, not even the duckpin kind.

Jeff Roberts said...

Another great story! My 2 brothers and I used to go with my Mom to a day-league in the summer time. I still like to go now and then, take t he church kids, etc., though I'm not any good at it!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! See, now I think that I was robbed... when I was younger I got allowance but in high school, once I started making my own money babysitting, allowance stopped. My parents would give me money to go to the movies or something if I asked, but it wasn't regular income (and I rarely asked). And I was still doing all those chores...


Hi Erica! Hehe... chores or else -I think that's where it ended up when I was in high school. Maybe my parents didn't have much extra cash when we were older.
I bet 5 cents an envelope seemed like good money at the time, though, right?


Houseband - well, I didn't even get into how I used to bowl. I was a skinny little weakling, and the lightest ball back then was 8 pounds. I used to run up to the lane, slide on my stomach and push the ball with both hands. I got strikes too. It was a sight.

I've been tagged?


Hi Travis! You were a bowling alley kid too?? Was your bowling night on a school night? We definitely had a lot of fun - the only downfall was all the cigarette smoke... I almost forgot about that.


Hi Lizza! How much younger is your brother? My brother and I were only 18 months apart, so we did everything together. And depending on the day, we were either best friends or we hated each other!


Hi Jeff! I'm not good at it either, and I'm not even sure if I could still do it since I've been plagued by carpal tunnel for the past 2 years. But I'd like to go - it is pretty fun! Especially on a rainy day when there isn't much to do.

Nikki Neurotic said...

There's only a few bowling alley's around here, and it's more of a fun thing instead of bowling leagues. In the mid-West the bowling thing seems much bigger...I went out to visit relatives once and they really got into their bowling!

Julie said...

That is a really great memory. I never liked bowling, ever. I bowled once and hit ONE PIN. And I learned early that I don't like to do things that I don't do well. In California, they have Rock N Bowl that starts at 10PM and goes until 2AM and they have a DJ and neon. The kids like it. They also have Karaoke in the bar. I don't do that either, but I am happy to tag along.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silverneurotic! I'm with you - I prefer to bowl as an occasional fun diversion. The league thing can be too serious, although I guess it depends... I was on one about 10 years ago and it was a blast - just an excuse to get together and socialize.


Hi Jules! I hear ya... when I was younger I would cry if I got a gutter, especially since they didn't have bumpers back then and I would get one after another. My parents were into it though, so I eventually learned.
I haven't worked up the courage to sing in public. I only sing in the car :)

CS said...

Those simple kid pleasures are some of the best. I think about that sometimes with my own kids, that these are the days they will be reminisicing about.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CSL! Yes I agree - it's those simple everyday pleasures that we remember from childhood. My daughter may eventually forget the details of our trip to New Mexico, but I think she will look back fondly on the nights when we baked brownies together, or made popcorn and watched movies on the roll-out couch in the livingroom.

Scott from Oregon said...

We were not a bowling family. Tennis and swimming down at the local swim and tennis club.

I loved that you remembered dropping Al.

Guys like Al needed that every now and then.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Scott! Yeah, I almost forgot about dropping Al to the floor. He was such a big guy, too. I wouldn't be surprised if that fall aggravated some chronic back problem or something.

We did a lot of swimming in the river growing up, but I've never learned to play tennis :(

CS said...

Absolutely. But my 10 year old reminisces about his favorite things during trips to Costa Rica (age 6), West Indies (7), California(8) and Africa(9) - so I guess the big and the little pleasures are good. I'm just satying that because although the details of your trip may slip away for your daughter it may still be very important that you took her. And, not to keep contradicting myself, if I had to vote for just one or the other, I'd go with the brownie-baking and pocorn/movvie night.

Tammie Jean said...

I agree with you CSL. Even if some of the details fade away, I do think all the traveling we've done will stick with her. Our trips have certainly nourished her sense of adventure, her appreciation of nature, and her interest in people and places beyond the borders of our little town. I'm all about making memories, big and small :)