Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Water, Water Everywhere...


Nearly 5 inches of rain in a 36 hour period. That's a lot of water.
So there's water in my basement.
The sump pump gets clogged with debris as it tries to keep ahead of the water bubbling through the cracks in the cement floor. Every time it clogs, the water level quickly rises to the point where it's threatening the furnace. I had to babysit it all day yesterday, and keep pushing the water toward the pump with a snow shovel since the floor is uneven.


There are big puddles in my yard.


Though it's not nearly as bad as it is for the people that live near the creek.

The creek itself is a raging torrent.




As a kid, my husband used to jump off that pipe into the creek below. Of course, not with the waters raging as they are now. But I think it's crazy either way.


People were stopping on the bridge all day to have a look.

Even though it was starting to get dark, everyone was making their way to the bridge to view the turbulent waters below. Cars were stopped on both sides.

And I was one of them. I needed a break from dealing with the water in my basement.

Five inches of rain persistently finding its way back into my house, despite my best efforts to keep it out, was driving me crazy.

I can't imagine what it must have been like

for the people in New Orleans.


13 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

i'll stop bitching about the water in my basement now.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silverneurotic! LOL I was doing a lot of whining until I thought about the images of people sitting on their rooftops in New Orleans, waiting to be rescued.
It could always be worse, right?

Kiyotoe said...

that's something we should all keep in mind. "it could always be worse".

Hope you're dried out by now.

velvet said...

That creek is s-c-a-r-y, scary! I hope that you've gotten a bit of respite from the water.

We got a lot of rain here, too, coupled with our already high ground-water level in our neighborhood, but so far our sump has been able to take care of it. Good luck with your basement while I go find a bit of wood to knock on!

Travis Cody said...

Yuck! Does that happen every time you get heavy rains?

Erica Ann Putis said...

Oh man - I remember those days... Crazy. In CA nothing crazy happens... which is kinda nice. :)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! Yes, we're finally drying out. Most of the roads that were closed due to flooding have reopened, the waters have receeded, and my basement is starting to dry out. Now I just have to clean up...

Hi Velvet Girl! Yes, that creek was scary! It's normally a fast flowing creek, but you can usually see the large boulders it winds through on its way to the river. The water was so deep and turbulent that the boulders were immersed. Not to mention the sound of all that churning water...

Hi Travis! It's only happened once or twice before in the 3 years I've lived in this house. But it's been enough that we're going to look into improving the situation in the basement.

Hi Erica! I don't know what part of Cali you're in, but in the 2 years I lived in Brentwood (outside of L.A.), we had wildfires, mudslides, the Northridge earthquake and O.J.! It was Crazy with a capital C.

velvet said...

I spoke too soon. We have water seeping in our basement, but nothing a little kitty litter can't keep on top of. Still... sigh.

Tammie Jean said...

Velvet - kitty litter? Seriously? Very creative! Although I'd need a truckload of it...

MariesImages said...

Here in Westchester we had 6-7 inches of rain. What a mess, all the major roads were closed. We were lucky, only had a little water n the boiler room.
Last year we even got a tornado, WE NEVER GET TORNADOES.:::SIGH:::

This was some storm~
Marie

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Marie! I'm not too far from you and I work in Westchester, so I didn't even bother trying to get to work on Monday. I can't wait to check out your page and see if there are places I recognize...
Thanks for stopping by!

MariesImages said...

Did anyone ever tell you , you looked like Martina McBride, well sideways you do~ Ü
We're almost neighbors, I'm in Hawthorne.
You'll find many places on here;
http://upload.pbase.com/mariesimages
that might look familiar~
Marie

Tammie Jean said...

Thank you Marie! I've been hearing that all day today since she was on American Idol last night :) I'll have to check out your link...