Monday, April 30, 2007

A Dream House

Today on the way to work, I was thinking about my dream house. I have many dreams...

I would love to have a house on the shore. I would fall asleep to the sounds of the waves and the ocean breeze caressing my face, and wake up to a glorious sunrise, with the sun sparkling on the waves like thousands of tiny diamonds. And I would begin each day with a walk on the beach, breathing in the salty air and feeling the sand between my toes.

But I would also love a house in the mountains, hidden from the world, surrounded by old-growth trees and animals everywhere. There would be an amazing view from my deck, overlooking the trees and the mountains in the distance, and maybe a little meadow full of wildflowers. The deer would come to greet me in the early morning, because I would feed them apples or some other sweet treat and they would learn to trust me. I'd be like Snow White, feeding the birds from my hand and yodeling down the well! And I would begin each day with a walk through the trails, breathing in the cool air and feeling the moss beneath my feet.

I enjoy solitude and privacy, and natural surroundings. Oh and some sort of view. When we were camping in Pennsylvania last year with my dad, we spent the evenings sitting in chairs around the campfire, looking out onto the grassy hills. Occasionally a deer would walk by, or a fox or a racoon... and of course there were lots of birds. And it was so relaxing to just sit and watch. So my dream home would definitely have a place to sit and look out.

Of course, when I was young, my dream house was one where I had my own room. We lived in an apartment, and I had to share a room with my brother. We had bunkbeds and lots of toys everywhere and no privacy.

We moved into a small house when I was in 2nd grade. I remember our first day there, sitting in that empty room on a box full of books. I just sat and smiled. This was MY room. I could set up all my stuffed animals and toys, and put pictures on the wall, and I could listen to whatever music I wanted. There was even a closet for my clothes.

That old house made everyone happy, and it was great to have our own yard, too.
I helped my mother plant flowers in the front and a tomato garden in the back. My father worked on things out in the garage, my brother worked on his minibike back by the shed. My mother liked to cook even more in the new kitchen, and she made spaghetti sauce from the tomatoes in the garden. I built forts up on the hill and read books up in my room. And since we had a yard, we were able to get a puppy, which was the greatest thing.

And so I look at the house I live in now. Sure, there are some rooms that still need painting, and we need to redo the bathroom upstairs and refinish the hardwood floors. And I'd like to have a deck or a patio on the back so I could sit and look out on the yard, and we could have barbeques out there.

But I am able to plant flowers in the front and tomatoes in the back.
Mandy has her own room, where she can hang pictures on the wall and listen to whatever music she wants.
We have a nice yard where the dogs can run and sniff around where the deer trekked through the night before.
And there are closets for our clothes, and a garage for our toys.
I enjoy cooking dinner in the kitchen at night, while my husband is upstairs on the computer, Mandy is upstairs on the phone, and the dogs are under my feet, waiting for me to drop a scrap of food.
And I begin each morning with a walk around the lake, breathing in the fresh spring air, smiling at the other early morning walkers as we pass on the road.


I think I already have my dream house. Life is good.


18 comments:

Jeff Roberts said...

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Phil. 4:11 (KJV)

Contentment is greatly under-rated!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Jeff! Yes, contentment with where we are. Actually, if we look closely enough at our lives and our families, and we count our blessings, I think most of us could be quite happy with where we are. "Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling." (Margaret Lee Runbeck)

Erica Ann Putis said...

You write the best entries... I always get nostalgic or wrapped up in a fantasy land when I read them. I did live in the woods overlooking a pond, pasture and beautiful mountains. I used to walk around all these trails and would spend hours out there. But I'd have to say I'm pretty happy living in the city now too...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Erica! And thank you, what a great compliment! It sounds like you've been able to experience the best of both worlds, which is fabulous. As a people-watcher of the highest order, I can just imagine that the city is an amazing place to live!

houseband00 said...

A house is something physical and tangible. A home is something felt in our hearts and not seen.

PS
Doesn't your post remind you of that Madness song? =)

Travis Cody said...

This is our third night in the new condo - I understand exactly what you mean.

I have a picture in my mind of what the perfect home would be, but I'm content with the home we're making today.

Scott from Oregon said...

I am happy that you are happy.

"It is better to be content than to be driven to despair".

I just made that up and it is of quotable quality! Damn, I'm happy for me too!)

velvet said...

It would be so great to have a beach house. Sigh. Or live in the city. I do miss the city.

Actually, my dream house would an old house with a lot of character, great woodwork, and some new "greener" systems put in, not to mention a works space of my own (a small refurbished barn, perhaps? hee hee. Well, it's my dream). For now, though, I'm happy enough with the not-to-my-taste-house and half-acre where we are now.

After all, anywhere my family is is home.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Houseband! Yes, you're right - there's a big difference between a house and a home. "Our house... in the middle of our street..." LOL!

Hi Travis! Glad to hear you guys are moved in - how exciting! I can't wait to see some new pics of the condo once you're all settled in.

Hi Scott! You're happy that I'm happy? I'm happy that you're happy! Hee hee...

Hi Velvet! Oh I'm with you... I've always had a love for older homes with character, and a refurbished barn would be a perfect studio. But yes, home is where your family is, always.

Nikki Neurotic said...

I love the house I live in, it's always been in my family since it was built in 1950's...but at the same time, I hate the location. Wish we could pack up the entire house and move it somewhere nicer. Hehe. Don't think that'll ever happen.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silver! You know, you could move it... Ever watch the show "Mega-Movers" on the History Channel? Houses get moved all the time! They actually moved a building in our town recently (not for the show, though). Where would you go if you could?

Frank Marcopolos said...

lucky you. i'm a-gonna get me one them dream houses one these days.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Brooklyn Frank! Geez, I have some catching up to do over at your blog too... miss a week, miss a whole lot! (And I think I may be more than a week behind.)
Where's your dream house? Is it in Brooklyn?

CS said...

Oh, another crossing in cyberspace - when I clicked on post a comment, a comment from you popped up on my blog! Anyway, there is a great deal of wisdom in wanting what you have. It brings true happiness. Sounds like you are able to appreciate the things that make your home your dream. Way to go.

Erica Ann Putis said...

I love nature, and I never thought I could live in a city but San Diego is so green. It's really beautiful with tons of trees and flowers all year round. The perfect mix of city and country. :) If you haven't ever visited - you should. It quite nice...

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CSL! Oh how funny - simultaneous commenting. Yes, I think it's important to appreciate what we have instead of always wanting something more. Goals are wonderful to have, of course, but there is certainly value in being grateful for what you have.


Hi Erica! I had always wanted to visit San Diego, especially while I was living in Brentwood. Admittedly, I wanted to see the zoo, but I'm sure there's plenty more to see. And how can you argue with a place described as a "climatic wonderland"? One of these days I'll get there...

Professor Howdy said...

Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Professor Howdy! And thank you very much! I appreciate it :)