Saturday, April 21, 2007

Missing Chapters

Sean got a new brother about a year and a half ago. Not a new baby brother. A new big brother.

It's funny how you can think your story reads a certain way, but then you find out there were some chapters missing.

********

Sean’s father had been married before. Everyone in the family knew that. There was even an older sister out there somewhere. No one had ever spoken to her, though. No one knew where she was.

The family has always had an old black and white photo of her in a tiny oval frame. She was about three years old in the picture, and she was wearing a little white dress. This was all they had of Rebecca.

One day, when Sean and I were both in the office on our computers, he mentioned something about the long lost sister. He said he felt like there was a missing piece in their family, and he wished he could track her down.

Why don’t you Google her?

“I’ve tried. I just come up with thousands of sports results, with her first name in one spot and her last name in another.”

“Don’t you know that you’re supposed to put quotes around the words you want to appear together?”

“Huh?”

“Put quotes around her name and try again.”

So he did. And he found her. Just like that.

Rebecca seemed a little hesitant to communicate at first. She had always known that she had some step-siblings out there. But she hadn’t heard much about her biological father, and what she had heard, well, I guess her mother hadn’t spoken very highly of him.

But lately she’s been talking more with Sean’s younger sister, and they even met up in Boston over St. Patty’s weekend last month. So the connections are being made.

And she had a bit of information that no one in the family had ever known: Rebecca was a twin. Her sister had died when they were young. No one even knew.

********

It was just a few weeks after finding Rebecca that we received the phone call. It seemed Sean wasn’t the only one who felt the longing created by a fractured family.

We had just gotten back from dinner, and Sean was checking the voicemail. With a confused look on his face he brought the phone to me. “You have to listen to this.”

A thick southern accent came through the receiver: “Hi. My name is Steven G, and I’m from Charlotte, North Carolina. I’m looking for information on my father, TB. If you have any information on him at all, please call me back…”

“Um… Honey? He’s looking for information on his father… His father is your father… This is your brother!”

The thing about it was, though, everyone knew about Rebecca. Although they had never met her, and they hadn’t known about her twin, they did think of her often.

Steven, on the other hand, was a complete surprise.

And since Sean’s father had passed away 8 years ago, there was no one to answer the questions.

Sean emailed Rebecca: “Guess what? You’re not the oldest anymore.”

********

Steven had lived most of his life believing that the man who raised him was his father. Why would he think any differently? He came from a big happy family. But after serving his country in Desert Storm, someone brought it up one night when the family was gathered together at his mother’s house.

“You should tell him! He could have died over there.”

“Hush!”

“Tell me what?”

And so somewhere in his late thirties, Steven learned that his life story didn’t read quite the way he thought it did. Well, for the most part it did, except that he had missed the prologue. And no one had ever told him that his story had a prologue at all.

It took him a few years to decide what to do about his prologue. But eventually, he got enough information from his mother to track the family down and make that phone call.

Unfortunately, he never got to meet his biological father.

But believe me when I tell you, you have never seen anyone happier to have found his new family. Steven is the sweetest guy.

He came up to visit and meet everyone just before Christmas that year, and he was absolutely overjoyed. Hugs for everyone. Christmas presents, too.

“C’mon, let’s start catching up on everything we missed growing up.”

“What do you wanna do?”

“Well we’ll each pick something. I pick Snowball Fight.” It was time to start writing new chapters.

********

Then we went to North Carolina to visit Steven last summer. While we were there, we got to meet Steve’s sons. The crazy thing is, Steve’s oldest son doesn’t just LOOK like Sean’s father; he looks like he IS Sean’s father (when he was young). Genetics are pretty amazing.

I wonder if any other new siblings are going to surface?


You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu

16 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

My mother has a lot of relatives that we don't know at all...and both me and my sister are adopted so this hits close to home for me.

Travis Cody said...

Terrific story. My mother found out several years ago that she had a step sister from her biological father's first marriage. She was able to contact her older sister and meet with her just a few years before the woman died of cancer.

Jeff Roberts said...

"I pick snowball fight." Classic, he does sound like a fun guy.

katie eggeman said...

WoW! What a surprise that would have been. My husband has somestories like that on his mother and father's side.

Scott from Oregon said...

If my Pops had some kids we all didn't know about, he'd have a bit of 'xplainin' to do...

Probably under duress..

Pretty cool that your family got suprisingly bigger out of the blue...

Our family is the rogue portion of our larger family. I really don't know much about my cousins and their kids, as we went different ways so long ago.

Family to me doesn't mean blood ties so much as emotional ones.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Silver! If you ever had the inkling to track anyone down, it seems it's easier these days than it used to be. Or at least there are more resources at your disposal. My daughter is considering contacting her biological father. She felt bad that Steve missed out on meeting his.

Hi Travis! Wow, that's amazing. Did they find that they had odd things in common? Sean and Steve did. Makes you wonder what traits are "nature" and which are "nurture".

Hi Jeff! Yes, he's definitely a great guy, and the snowball fight was a hit. Luckily they didn't proceed with the next suggestion, which was "crossfire" lol.

Hi Bankerchick! Yes, it was a surprise for sure - a happy surprise though. I'd bet there are a lot of stories out there like that.

Hi Scott! LOL I thought the same thing about my dad - there would definitely be some explaining to do... And I agree about family - emotional ties can be the strongest of all.

Kiyotoe said...

my girlfriend just went through a very similar thing. Her father passed away when she was very young and he had children from a previous marriage before marrying her mother. She just recently reconnected with her father's side of the family that she had never know over the last 25 years, including three siblings (up to this point she was an only child).

That kind of joy is contagious, and i was so happy for her. She's gonna love Christmas with this new, larger family ;)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Kiyotoe! How exciting that your girlfriend was able to find her 3 siblings! And it sounds like everyone was thrilled to meet up, which is wonderful. I agree - the joy is contagious :)

Akelamalu said...

I found you through Rising Blogger and have just read your post "We should have been friends". I've commented there.

Then I read this post and again it touched me. What a wonderful thing for family to find each other. I love your writing, I'll call back to read more if I may?

velvet said...

That's really astounding! Just when you think you know who you are and where you come from, life can throw you a curve ball.

This post really made me smile.

houseband00 said...

This is so heartwarming, Tammie. =)

All the best to Sean and his newfound family. =)

Tammie Jean said...

Hi Akelamalu! Thank you so much for your encouraging comments - I really appreciate it! You're welcome to come back and visit any time :)


Hi Velvet! Yes, I think that's it exactly - that's why it was so mind-blowing for Sean. His new siblings are so warm and genuine, though, they are a welcome addition to the family. I just love a happy ending :)


Hi Houseband! I'll pass along your well-wishes - thanks so much :)

Frank Marcopolos said...

gr8 tale. muchos kudos

CS said...

Hey, this is my story, too! I tracked down my oldest sister who'd been adopted away before all the rest of us were born. I was 28 when I found her (she was 32), and since then she's been re-integrated into the family. It's been a pretty incredible expereince for all of us, and I've never regretted starting the search.

robkroese said...

Wow, that's amazing. Personally, I'd have been perfectly happy to have been ignorant of my older brother's existence for the first few decades of my life.

Tammie Jean said...

Hi CS! Wow, that's incredible! How wonderful that you were able to find her and start building a relationship!


Hi Diesel! Maybe you would have gotten along better if you met up at some point in your thirties? LOL too funny ;)